PDA

View Full Version : Where to get paint for artillery carriage?

Tim Lyne
06-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Just finished building a 1st model Prairie Carriage and need to know where I can order the right paint. Help would be much appreciated!
Tim Lyne
Knap's Batt.
#2952V

Des
06-06-2016, 09:27 PM
I get mine from Sherwin Williams. If you are interested I can get the paint number tomorrow. It was a blended paint to match the paint I was using but was discontinued by another manufacturer.

Tim Lyne
06-07-2016, 06:43 AM
I'd be thankful for that info! Exactly what I need Des, thanks!
Tim Lyne
Knap's Batt.
#2952V

Des
06-07-2016, 08:59 PM
email with specs sent

rampa_room_artillery
06-07-2016, 09:34 PM
What type of barrel are you gonna put on you new carriage?

Tim Lyne
06-08-2016, 11:21 AM
I've got a Jamie West Confederate Mountain Rifle tube to put on it. Seemed like a good choice to get Knap's back in Artillery. Just picked up the paint this morning. If it weren't raining cats and dogs right now I'd probably have the primer on it. By the way, "Kem Bond HS" was highly recommended by a professional house painter.

I really enjoyed building this and am blessed to have the equipment to do the work; shop size table saw (with a great fence), 14"x6' E.B.M. Hendey lathe, Wells-Index Milling machine, and the Queen of my shop, an 1890 H.B. Smith 36" wheel band saw. Takes an 18' blade. Replaced the babbit bearings with oilite bronze, re-laminated the wheels with Ash, new guides, etc. Cuts straight as an arrow. With a 1-1/2" 2 t.p.i. blade, it slices through a 12" thick white oak beam like a laser. 16"X36" throat on the bugger! I've cut miles of guitar wood with this. My team is sick of hearing me brag about it. And no, I'm not compensating for anything by owning this and/or bragging about it...

I've taken a bunch of pictures of the build and machinery, thinking I might write something up for the Skirmish Line sometime. Building this gave me a tremendous amount of respect for the folks who originally engineered carriages in use during the Civil War. They knew exactly what they were doing. It's a humbling thing and should be for anyone with any sense of history.

Tim Lyne
Knap's Batt.

RaiderANV
06-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Has Lefty signed off on the project with his Blessings yet??

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
06-08-2016, 01:04 PM
Tim wrote, "I really enjoyed building this and am blessed to have the equipment to do the work; shop size table saw (with a great fence), 14"x6' E.B.M. Hendey lathe, Wells-Index Milling machine, and the Queen of my shop, an 1890 H.B. Smith 36" wheel band saw. Takes an 18' blade. Replaced the babbit bearings with oilite bronze, re-laminated the wheels with Ash, new guides, etc...." Tim forgot to add, And a door into the kitchen that I forget to close when creating vast quantities of fine saw dust. :eek:

Tim Lyne
06-08-2016, 02:05 PM
A story of marital tolerance and forgiveness....and jewelry.
Yes, thank you oh-so-much for bringing up that little foot note to this build. My "shop" is what my wife used to call the "garage", which is directly connected to our dining room by a door that seems to work just fine. My bandsaw is juuust about a foot away from this door. After an exhilarating all-morning session slicing and dicing the trail on the saw, I turned and realized with equally exhilarating horror and dread that at some point someone or something had neglected to close this door after getting a cup of coffee. I'm not saying it wasn't me, I'm just saying it could have been anyone else.
**All of this could have been avoided if I had taken a minute to hook up my dust system or even just put a garbage can under the dust chute, but no, I couldn't be bothered; after all, the team needed this gun done now! So, in a very real sense and as I explained it to my tolerant and loving wife, this was really all their fault.
"Can't be that bad" I said to myself...until I looked in and saw the dust devils making their death swirls as they settled an inch deep around chair and table legs... and stove top and pantry shelves and computer desk...you get the idea.
I immediately called the team thinking that since this was truly all their fault, they'd arrive to help, but no. "I'd like to help", Jim Brady said, "but I've got a hemorrhoid the size, color and texture of a concord grape and I can't possibly help." I spent six hours on the phone trying to get team members here for an immediate emergency clean up, but no, everyone has some sort of medical procedure, a Trump/Clinton fundraiser to attend or a funeral to go to.

Anyway, I cleaned it up as best I could. I also reminded my wife that we have white oak flooring in our dining room and it appeared to me that the white oak sawdust I made was just trying to make a connection and really, who are we to interrupt that? Matter of fact, being a culturally sensitive guy, I was a little indignant that she was so upset about this.

It's all okay now though, thanks for asking.

Ron/The Old Reb
06-08-2016, 04:21 PM
I take it that you are now outside sleeping with the dog.

Tim Lyne
06-13-2016, 10:39 AM
Just a note to anyone interested: I primed the carriage last Thursday afternoon using the Sherwinn-Williams "Kem Bond HS" (HS means High Solids). This stuff is like spreading thick wood glue. I used a short nap roller on the flats and a chip brush on the wheels. Thick, thick stuff. The sheet says two day cure; don't believe it. I got home from the Cockade yesterday and though it was considerably harder than when I left on Friday afternoon I could still cut the finish with a fingernail. I was greatly concerned....

I called S-W this morning and spoke with a rep in the Metal and Marine paint products department who assured me it will cure, but it's going to take about a week. He said that since the crack down on VOC (Volitile Organic Chemicals), they and every other paint manufacturer had to change their formula and everything takes days longer to gas out and cure.

So, good news is that it will cure, bad news is that if you use this product you need to plan at least a week between priming and top coating.

Tim Lyne
Knap's Batt.
#2952V