PDA

View Full Version : .695" Diameter Sizer

hobbler
06-06-2016, 12:49 PM
Hey yall.
I'm canvassing the interseine for sources for .69 minie sizers.
Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

hobbler
06-06-2016, 01:46 PM
Never mind, just put one on order.

Now, to reinvent the sizing press to accommodate this big rascal.
Have been shooting paper patched but now have a full sized lead badminton birdie mold with lube grooves.
The gofer is in big, big trouble.

gmkmd
06-20-2016, 08:00 PM
Good idea. I'm a big fan of running all of my bullets through a lubrisizer. So I have lubrisizer dies for my .58, .54, and .50 caliber guns. But when I shoot my .69's, I have to settle for using the push-through dies and lubricating the bullets in a separate step. Much less efficient!
I've often thought about seeing if some innovative machinist could take a Lyman, RCBS, or even a Saeco lubrisizer and bore it out to be able to take dies in the 0.685 to 0.695 range (and make the dies as well). Maybe even up to 0.730 for those Garibaldi rifles.

hobbler
07-07-2016, 08:19 AM
For now I'm using a dowel rod with a cup on the end, molded from JB-Weld epoxy.
Painted a minie nose with nail polish for extra smoothness and used lanolin-olive oil-beeswax lube as a release agent, molded the cup to fit the nose. The minies drive through with quite a bit of resistance but (knock on wood) the molded cup is holding up to the pounding.

hobbler
07-07-2016, 12:19 PM
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/sizer%20and%20dowel_zpshspbvv5t.jpg (http://s791.photobucket.com/user/SNARGLEFLERK/media/sizer%20and%20dowel_zpshspbvv5t.jpg.html)

Looking forward to trying these rascals out. But it's summer cold time, sore throat, runny nose.
Wahhh! :o

bobanderson
07-11-2016, 05:47 AM
Why wouldn't you want to push them through nose first?

hobbler
07-11-2016, 09:31 PM
Didn't figure it mattered. There's a cylindrical shape being pushed through either way.
But with this design with the thick band up front, maybe getting the whole thing aligned before the tougher part hits maybe might be best. Maybe. Gee I dunno. But it would be easy enough to make a stick with a molded bulge on the end instead of the cup.

hobbler
07-11-2016, 09:35 PM
Oh, just remembered something...
There's two designs of base plugs with the mold.

I think I need to get some sleep. G'nite.