PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Burnside Cases

Kenneth L. Walters
06-04-2016, 12:41 PM
Who sells them and how long do they last?

Timmeu
06-04-2016, 08:41 PM
Who sells them and how long do they last?

I bought mine from Lodgewood. I haven't gotten to shoot my Model 5 yet.

ms3635v
06-05-2016, 05:36 PM
I have a teammate who is shooting the white plastic Burnside cases and the longevity has been good.

Hal
06-06-2016, 07:40 AM
I bought a few just to try at the same time I bought my first brass ones. They shoot, but I could see some deformation due to heat around the 'neck' of the case after just one firing. It didn't seem to hurt anything, but it was there. Then, there was that nagging thing in the back of my mind that 'it just seemed wrong' to use plastic when brass was available.;) But they are certainly more affordable, especially when you look at buying large numbers of them.

Kenneth L. Walters
06-06-2016, 08:35 AM
I bought a few just to try at the same time I bought my first brass ones. They shoot, but I could see some deformation due to heat around the 'neck' of the case after just one firing. It didn't seem to hurt anything, but it was there. Then, there was that nagging thing in the back of my mind that 'it just seemed wrong' to use plastic when brass was available.;) But they are certainly more affordable, especially when you look at buying large numbers of them.

I've used brass cases but the front most part, that thin area up top, seems to break off almost immediately.

Hal
06-06-2016, 12:15 PM
I've not had that problem. I'm certainly no expert here, but I've read where some of the cases offered by some of the vendors do not have the indentation in the bottom where the flash hole is. Mine came from Lodgewood, and they do have this indentation. What I've read is that the ones without the indentation can damage the sliding breech block piece. I don't know, but it seems possible that if the case did not have the recess, it could extend too far out of the breech block and cause interference at the big end? Again, no expert. Just speculating.

Old Rvr
06-21-2016, 08:37 PM
I have used the plastic but as Stated on their website ,I trimmed a little from the base to fit them to my chamber . I trim with a sharp knife or on a bench grinder UNOADED as they are tough to cut . This makes them chamber easier. They say not of all of the chambers are the same depth .
Brass has come down ,so I no longer use plastic . If you shop around and order 20 or 30 at a time it's not so painful. Just my 2 cents , O.R.