PDA

View Full Version : WTT - Lee 6 gang mould for Maynard, Smith, etc

bobanderson
06-03-2016, 09:55 PM
In Virginia last fall, I went looking for the Lee 6 gang mould for my Maynard. When I found them (at Lodgewood?) I discovered that they came in two sizes, .515 and .518.

To make a long story short, I bought the .518 and need the .515.

Does anyone have a .515 version of this mould they would like to swap? If so, I would be willing to pay the shipping for both items for the favor.

If anyone wants the .518 mould, I would sell mine, shipped to you, for a discounted price so I can in turn buy what I need.

The .518 casts true with pure lead. I haven't cast very many, but have found out that my guns like harder lead.

oscarlovel
06-03-2016, 10:43 PM
Bob,

I believe I have two .515 six cavity molds (Lee Smith/Maynard). I'd be willing to trade one of them for your .518. Let me check in the morning, but pretty sure I have two.

Clint Lovell

oscarlovel
06-04-2016, 04:01 PM
Definitely have two. Both are lightly used. Will be happy to make trade with you for one of mine. Let me know.

bobanderson
06-05-2016, 08:26 AM
Will be happy to make trade with you for one of mine. Let me know.

Clint,
Sending you a PM as soon as I finish typing this.

Thanks.

ms3635v
06-05-2016, 05:32 PM
Hey Bob,

If you are shooting an original Maynard, the .518" should shoot just fine. I have been shooting a .518" for over 30 years and it still works very well for me.

bobanderson
06-06-2016, 06:33 AM
Mike,
I have a Romano Maynard with a Hoyt barrel I fitted myself. I also have a Smith with a Hoyt barrel and just recently, a 56-50 Spencer carbine (thanks, Ray).

I've tried both of the Lyman 515 series bullets and an RCBS 520 adjustable. While they all shoot OK when I size them to 518, if you use hard lead in a 518 mould, you get about 520 and have to size it down. Again, that's no big deal (I size to 517) but my moulds have shallow/thin grease grooves and they get washed out when you size down too much. The Lee 6 gang mould has much better lube capacity. I'm thinking that by swapping my 518 for a 515, I'll get real close to the 517 I shoot and carry a lot of lube to the end of the barrel. When I shot the Lee 518 cast from soft lead, the fouling stayed soft and I got that nice grease ring on the muzzle, but the accuracy just wasn't there.

I've heard a lot of guys say they shoot pure lead in their breechloaders, but I haven't seen it work in any of mine. This also is true for a 36 caliber 1st Model Maynard with a Shilen barrel and a Henry. My rule is soft lead in muzzleloaders and a hard mix (3/1 pure lead to wheel weights) for anything that loads from the back. I also shoot that alloy in Black Powder Cartridge Silhouette guns and get nice accuracy all the way out to those 500 meter Ram silhouettes.

Clinton Lovell has graciously offered to swap with me, so I'm good to go.

Bullseye54
11-15-2016, 09:02 AM
I would be interested in a 515 gang mold if someone has one for sale.. I'm also looking for some non "shot out" full capacity Maynard Brass,
Joe

george7542
11-15-2016, 06:31 PM
Joe lodgewood list the mold you are looking for in the six cavity and a two cavity