PDA

View Full Version : Smith carbine rear sight

Muley Gil
05-31-2016, 09:55 PM
I got a repo Smith carbine at the Nationals. The sliding rear sight is loose. I assume a shim would tighen it up.

Any other thoughts?

RaiderANV
05-31-2016, 11:08 PM
Buy a new rear sight blank from Lodgewood. You can dill a peep or file yer notch.

Muley Gil
06-01-2016, 07:15 AM
Buy a new rear sight blank from Lodgewood. You can dill a peep or file yer notch.

What keeps the the rear sight tight on the slide? Can someone post a picture of the underside of the slide, with the rear sight in place?

RaiderANV
06-01-2016, 08:52 AM
You pinch the sight on both sides so it's tighter. There is either a very small screw or a pin at the top of yer ladder to keep it from sliding off if it gets loose.

Harley1247
06-01-2016, 09:36 AM
There is a small pin that is pressed into the sight at the top you may be able to pull it out by slowly twisting it with a good pair if pliers. Once you get the slider off use a good flat punch and secure it on a good flat surface such as a vise and tap the back of the slider using very little pressure. If you hit it too hard you will bend the slider part too much. It's going to be trial and error with the tapping to get it where you want it.
Good Luck

Muley Gil
06-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the 'smithing advice. My sight is missing the pin from the ladder, but that's no big deal. I'll make one.

jonk
06-01-2016, 09:24 PM
My sight is loose too, though when I put the new higher front skirmish sight on it, I filed it down until it would hit dead on at 50 with the rear sight up and slider all the way down (as I didn't like the tiny notch in the 'battle' sight), and just used a shim to raise it for 100 yards. I'd rather have it loose and set up that way myself, than have to move it all the time. Just another idea to consider.

Muley Gil
06-01-2016, 11:14 PM
Well, I took my loose rear sight and laid it atop the wooden blocks in my bench vise. It only took a few taps with a 8 oz ball peen hammer to tighten it up. Just need to fit a pin.

Thanks to all!!

Joe Plakis, 9575V
06-10-2016, 10:36 PM
I would suggest leaving the pin out and putting a very small screw in the hole instead..... makes swapping out sites later...

Muley Gil
06-11-2016, 08:40 AM
I would suggest leaving the pin out and putting a very small screw in the hole instead..... makes swapping out sites later...

Weeel, I went hillbilly tech. I couldn't find a small enough pin in my junk bin, so I used a black plastic covered bread tie. :D At least I won't lose the sight slide....