PDA

View Full Version : Potsdam help needed

Paul L
05-28-2016, 06:17 PM
Hello,

A friend bought a new (to him) Potsdam musket at the Spring Nationals. While in the process of cleaning it up, he discovered that the nipple threads in the bolster are stripped. Can someone recommend a person who could rethread this Potsdam? My friend wants it to be the original thread size also.

Thanks!

Paul L
15th Virginia Cavalry

John Holland
05-28-2016, 09:13 PM
If the threads are stripped, the hole is already oversize, therefore you can't recut it with the same tap. Because it is a European thread it may be difficult to get a Helicoil kit insert that is the size you desire. The N-SSA Rules forbid welding on the breech. All you can do is re-tap it to a larger diameter.

Disclaimer: The following is not an endorsement, nor do I have any business relationship with the shop indicated:

A friend recently had a Mississippi Rifle blow out a nipple, taking all the threads with it. He took the barrel to Whitacre's Machine Shop a few days prior to the recent National, explaining his plight. Mr. Whitacre drilled out the damaged nipple seat and re-tapped it from 5/16-24 to to 3/8-24 to match the oversized nipples he also manufactures. My friend was happy with the service because he said Mr. Whitacre took care of his problem while he waited. He did not tell me the cost, but he was very pleased! As an end note, my friend said his rifle still shot "point of aim" after the new nipple was installed.

John Holland....Skirmisher
(Blatantly stolen from Mike Rouch!)