PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi rammer?

MR. GADGET
05-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Looking a rammer for the Mississippi.
Not seeing a rammer that is all brass for it so was thinking about cutting down an all brass rammer for an 1842.

If I use a cutdown 42 brass rammer will it pass off and serve on the line or will it be a problem.

Thoughts

Rebel Dave
05-10-2016, 03:42 PM
I think you can get by with the ramrods that Lodgewood, and S & S Firearms sell. They are all brass with a tulip end tip, and are like the common rods used on most Springfield muskets, and are very common on the firing line. Get the 3 band version, and just cut it to size, and thread the end to 10-32 TPI, and your good to go.

I have a Miss Rifle that I have an all brass rod, with a more longer, slanted tip, but, it is 1/4 in diameter, and you would probably have to redrill your rammer slot/hole. They are sold by Lodgewood, as Mississippi ram rods. It is supposed to be more original on some Miss rifles. They are around $20.00.

Rebel Dave

John Bly
05-10-2016, 08:36 PM
I make the all steel rammer for the Harpers Ferry conversion to 58 caliber with the short front band and long range sights. I sell to both S&S and Lodgewood. They both should have them in stock. I don't know why you think you need an all brass rammer. Steel ones work fine. They worked well 165 years ago.

MR. GADGET
05-10-2016, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the info.
It is not a need but a want.
165 years back they did not give a rats butt about the crown or the bore.
They did care about hitting a man sized target and we care about hitting a 4" tile, skeet or bullseye.
kind of like changing the sights on a gun to make it better.
Maybe you could make some all brass for S&S and Lodgewood for them to sell.

propertymanager
05-11-2016, 06:01 AM
John Dewald from the Northeast trader sells them. He should have them here at the National.

Tim

MR. GADGET
05-11-2016, 07:30 AM
Thank you sir.

he may have been out or grabbed the wrong one last time as it was the same as my 42 brass just shorter and flat end.
will talk to him at nationals

Jim Leinicke 7368V
05-11-2016, 02:57 PM
I don't know where the idea started that a brass ramrod did less wear to a barrel than a steel rod, but I can say absolutely that it is an opinion shared by a subset of N-SSA shooters and by no one else. I kind of operate under the conviction that the people of the 19th century who really understood blackpowder weapons probably knew pretty much what they were doing, and a great many 21st century skirmishers not so much. Anyhow, before I would take Bulletin Board advice to the bank, I would consult the writings of the experts, such as the great Harry Pope, the premier rifleman/rifle maker of the late 19th century. Pope was adamant that you should never use a brass or wooden rod in a fine barrel. Both materials are soft and easily scratched, and the scratches accumulate fine abrasive dust and grit that will eventually play the devil with a barrel crown. Pope advocated use of nothing but a rod made of polished spring steel, which was not-so-coincidentally exactly what the government used for its rifles. I suggest you heed his good advice.

Jim Leinicke
114th Illinois

Jim_Burgess_2078V
05-12-2016, 01:01 PM
Note, however, that Harry Pope and company were using rifles with false muzzles that protected the barrel crown from ramrod wear. It is true that brass will pick up abrasive grit so it is important to clean the brass rods frequently. I've used a brass rod with my Miroku M1861 Springfield for over 25 years and the musket is still going strong.

Getting back to the original question, I'm not sure that a cut down M1842 musket rod will work in a Mississippi, especially a .54 caliber rifle, because the head diameter might be too big.

Jim Burgess
15th CVI

MR. GADGET
05-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Getting back to the original question, I'm not sure that a cut down M1842 musket rod will work in a Mississippi, especially a .54 caliber rifle, because the head diameter might be too big.

Jim Burgess
15th CVI

Mine is a 58 cal and the rammer fits just fine.

What I was looking was an all brass rammer that matched the steel one the gun come with or the brass/steel combo.

to the others.......

No science to it, no need to be scientists on steel or brass...

Just what I want and also able to use what I got with the 42 rod and cut down.
No reason to try and debate what is best or why.

Looking an all brass Mississippi rammer nothing more nothing less and have a few leads.