PDA

View Full Version : Rifled 1842 musket to Smoothbore?

MR. GADGET
05-10-2016, 11:39 AM
Can I just change a barrel from rifled to smoothbore on a repop gun that came as a factory rifled gun?

Just not using it and thinking about selling or adding a barrel to get something to use.
Maybe a Whittaker or hoyt?
Or factory take off smoothbore.

What to do, sell, trade, look for repop barrel or get a better quality barrel?

Thoughts

just not shooting it as there are never and stake events anymore.

Jim_Burgess_2078V
05-10-2016, 01:01 PM
You would need to make a couple of more changes beyond simply swapping out the barrel. A rifled M1842 has a different front sight than the smoothbore. The rifled musket front band is also keyed into a slot on the top of the barrel to prevent the sight on the band from shifting. The smoothbore barrel lacks this slot. If your band has the key for the slot like on the originals, it won't fit as nicely on a smoothbore barrel anyway. You will definitely need a new front band with the correct smoothbore sight. You might also like to replace the ramrod with one that has a solid head as opposed to the cupped one for the rifled musket.

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

MR. GADGET
05-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Dont remember seeing the key in on the front sight for my repop. As is it moves a little like the SB guns do.

As for rammers I have several extras.

So maybe just pick up a repop barrel or new made and then fit a front sight/band and it should be good.

anyone have any take off repop smoothbore barrels they want to sell?

I think I remember someone making or fixing the 1842 front bands with brass sight. Guess I will look for one at nationals.

John Holland
05-10-2016, 02:39 PM
Mr. G -

A friend bought a repro ArmiSport M-1842 rifled version and it came with the same front sight as the smoothbore version. It seems ArmiSport does not put the rifled type front sight on the rifled M-1842 muskets they make. Therefore the only thing you have to do is replace the rifled barrel with a smoothbore barrel. Taylor & Co. sells the smoothbore barrel separately so you should have no problem. You may even be able to buy one over the counter at their shop in Winchester if you plan on attending the Nationals this Spring!