PDA

View Full Version : Maynard conversion?

rampa_room_artillery
04-26-2016, 06:30 PM
Can a 2nd model maynard be converted to a first model?
Rick Bryan 11434v

John Holland
04-26-2016, 07:37 PM
Rick - The 1st and 2nd Model Maynards are quite a bit different from one another, therefore the simple answer is "No, you can not make a 2nd Model Maynard into a 1st Model Maynard."

Thank you for asking.

John Holland
Smal Arms Committee

rampa_room_artillery
04-26-2016, 09:24 PM
Ok i wasnt sure how much the recievers differ from model to model

RaiderANV
04-27-2016, 12:23 AM
Purdy shor its been done before and a card was issued on it. Took a lil machine work but it looked good.

John Holland
04-27-2016, 07:15 AM
PJ - I can tell you there has been no SAC Individual Approval Card issued for such an alteration in the past 16 years!

Mike McDaniel
04-27-2016, 07:38 AM
Why bother? Technically, it might be feasible, but by the time you were done, you would have spent the money to buy an approved 1st model from Larry Romano.

hwaugh
04-27-2016, 10:17 AM
Larry Romano converted a model 2 to a model 1 for a major museum, which must remain un-named.

RaiderANV
04-27-2016, 01:01 PM
PJ - I can tell you there has been no SAC Individual Approval Card issued for such an alteration in the past 16 years!

John.....I'm PM the info rather then post it here. You can post it if need be after you look it up and decide?

Kevin Tinny
08-06-2016, 06:32 AM
Hello, Mr. Holland:

What did you find, please, about the Second Model Maynard Harpers Ferry that was converted to First Model by Bert Sobers around 2004 with the Second Model's trigger left in place and a SAC card issued?

Was this some sort of exception?

Also, under N-SSA/SAC rules, are Second Model Maynard triggers allowed on First Models?
If so, under what conditions, please?

Many thanks.

Respectfully,
Kevin Tinny

Bruce Cobb 1723V
08-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Pretty sure our rules say as inspected to cover a Repro and as issued that would cover an original. Any other changes need to go to the SAC for approval.

Kevin Tinny
08-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Thanks, Mr. Cobb:

There are only a few, such as John Holland and his SAC, plus PJ and a couple others that might have an eye for such things.

Respectfully,

Kevin Tinny

Bruce Cobb 1723V
08-06-2016, 05:01 PM
Yes, As a member of the SAC I get it.

Eggman
08-06-2016, 05:48 PM
I know as a hard core Maynard shooter this string left me a bit confused. Kevin I'd recommend that you sit down with the Small Arms Committeee and present the alteration. They meet between midnight and 3:00 a.m. Thursday night on even numbered years.

Kevin Tinny
08-06-2016, 07:06 PM
Ok, Eggman:

The topic of converting Second Models to First Models led me to wonder what was allowed.
A search of the website showed little if anything about this and a member told me that the SAC has "files of reference material it uses to determine authenticity, etc."
Other members told me that no-no's were either bending the First Model's trigger to the improved profile of the Second Model or swapping them because it created an advantage.
Then I was advised that such might be allowed because ORIGINAL parts are scarce.
That seemed ok.
Then a member texted me that his repro First Model had a Second Model trigger and that it was ok because the SAC issued a card for it. Hmmmm. I have similar repro's.
Then Mr. H. responded here with a post that no conversion from Second Model to First was approved during the past 16 years.
Next, a member posted otherwise about one and it's been a couple months of silence.
That inconsistency made me wonder if there have been exceptions on repro's or conversions, but not originals, even when a repro part is available that would preclude the need to find a scarce original part?

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Kevin Tinny

John Holland
08-06-2016, 07:51 PM
To all - During the ensuing several months I have researched the topic and found that we did in fact issue one SAC Individual Approval Card for a Model 1 Maynard created from a Model 2 Maynard. The arm has changed hands since it was approved. The individual who now owns the arm was located and very kindly permitted me to reacquaint myself with the arm. Yes, I did in fact issue the card very early on in the early years of my chairmanship of the SAC. I will readily admit the faulty memory was mine alone after having issued in excess of some 3,000 SAC Cards! The alteration is extremely well done and it would be difficult to tell it isn't a Romano Model 1 Maynard, as many Romano parts were used.

With this having been said, feel free to continue the discussion to your hearts content!

Eggman
08-06-2016, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=Kevin Tinny;56062]Ok, Eggman:

The topic of converting Second Models to First Models led me to wonder what was allowed.
QUOTE]
I should explain Kevin - I have severe authority issues. My therapist told me to sublimate my frustrations toward some sort of neutral placebo. John Holland suggested the Small Arms Committee since they are well versed in handling displaced aggression. This topic is mucho interesting as are most of the issues you highlight. So just ignore my comments and hit the delete like the rest of the membership.

Kevin Tinny
08-06-2016, 09:06 PM
John's update is most helpful. Am sure that his memory is better than mine. Thanks, John.
Bet that you have seen more than your share of Johnny Cash Cadillacs, that his song humorously describes.

Eggman: Your authority issues seem normal enough to me. Haha.
Love your posts. We can take shooting, but not ourselves seriously.

Part of my concern is that Larry told me over a year ago, well before I ever knew of such parts issues, that he wouldn't do such a trigger swap on any of his First Models that I have 'cause he thought it was not allowed. He told me that many consider the Second Model's trigger profile more comfortable and easier to manage.

Then I learned that Fred Lewis had done at least one to a First Model of Larry's.

So, is such a trigger swap on a Romano Maynard First Model ok, please?

Eggman: It's past my bedtime and our three black cockers are giving me the eye.
Hands up, you have the aircraft.

Respectfully,
Kevin Tinny

David Kennard 12146
08-06-2016, 09:24 PM
Kevin,
One doesn't hear that last statement to Eggman "Hands up, you have the aircraft" often. I've said it alot in a former line of work.

Mike McDaniel
08-06-2016, 11:08 PM
Be sure to shake the stick.

RaiderANV
08-07-2016, 11:25 AM
Be sure to shake the stick.

Not you Eggs......wouldn't want you going blind!

Eggman
08-07-2016, 05:46 PM
We didn't use that expression in the corn fields of Ioway. We did say"Don't stand too close to the power take-off!"

RaiderANV
08-07-2016, 06:17 PM
We didn't use that expression in the corn fields of Ioway. We did say"Don't stand too close to the power take-off!"

Gonna think of this every time I hitch sumthin up to my tractor now. 🤔

Muley Gil
08-08-2016, 05:26 AM

Don't get too close to that spinning PTO shaft if you're wearing a loose tee shirt. Don't ask me how I know this. :(

Kevin Tinny
08-08-2016, 06:47 AM
Hello, all:

So....does anyone know the answer to the trigger swap question, please?

Respectfully,

Kevin Tinny

John Bly
08-08-2016, 08:39 AM
Kevin, since you aren't a member and won't be shooting your Romano Maynard at any events subject to inspection you can have any trigger you want in it. When guns are inspected on the line at a skirmish they are inspected for safety and aren't given the full small arms inspection routine so a variant trigger would probably be missed. I suspect that there may be some in the N-SSA with 2nd Mod triggers as I don't recall seeing any 1st Mod triggers for sale at the sutlers. I've only seen the 2nd Mod versions at the S&S booth. One could buy a 1st Mod trigger from Larry Romano I suppose. I have waterjet cut blanks for the 1st Mod triggers and I've fitted a few should anyone need a proper replacement.

Eggman
08-08-2016, 09:06 AM
Kevin, since you aren't a member and won't be shooting your Romano Maynard at any events .

John - Kevin says he's joining up so it's important he gets his Maynard "N-SSA right." Look for him at the natl. in October. I understand he drives a 2005 Hyundai with a Mercedes hood ornament.

Maillemaker
08-08-2016, 09:52 AM
I understand he drives and 2005 Hyundai with a Mercedes hood ornament.

LOL! :D

Steve

Kevin Tinny
08-08-2016, 09:59 AM
LOL! :D

Steve

Thanks, guys:

Guess I will just approach the SAC on the trigger mod when visiting during a National.

My vehicle will be the van with tiles and clay pigeons on its sides. Will be completely safe then.

Bye. Love you.

Kevin

george7542
08-08-2016, 06:07 PM
Thanks, guys:

Guess I will just approach the SAC on the trigger mod when visiting during a National.

My vehicle will be the van with tiles and clay pigeons on its sides. Will be completely safe then.

Bye. Love you.

Kevin

You may want to go with wood paneling. Some teams can't break the stake either

Bruce Cobb 1723V
08-10-2016, 01:46 PM
I hope no one thinks that just because one individual was given the Ok to change / bend or replace with another model trigger on a Romano 1st model, you can just do it without following our N-ssa / SAC procedures / guidelines. Each arm, with this change has to be individually inspected and approved by the SAC and then given a card before it can be shot in our competition. I'm not sure everyone was getting this. Maybe I was wrong, but thought it was worth mentioning.