PDA

View Full Version : Carbines

mdivancic
10-12-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm looking to be ready to shoot carbine in the spring. After reading all I can in the forums (here and others) and talking to folks at the 120th national I've narrowed it down to a Burnside, Sharps Repro or Smith Repro.

Smith are hard to find right now, don't know why but none of the sutlers have them. Good originals cost to much.

Sharps, lots of choices. Talked to Charlie Hahn for a while who gave me tons of good information. This was originally what I wanted to shoot before I started to do my research.

However the Burnside seems to appeal to me the most. I like the look and the action. I've found a good Burnside at a good price. Why shouldn't I? What's the disadvantage of shooting an original weapon? Comments on any of these arms are welcome.

pastore
10-12-2009, 07:30 PM
My only advice is to look at the carbines on the line. How many Burnsides do you see? There has to be a reason.

mdivancic
10-12-2009, 08:41 PM
My only advice is to look at the carbines on the line. How many Burnsides do you see? There has to be a reason.

I actually talked to a shooter that was using a Burnside on the line, so they are there.

To me its not all about what's best, but shooting what is historically interesting. Other wise I'd be looking at a Maynard or Smith which seem to be the most represented on the line for Carbines.

Thanks for the reply, keep them coming!

Joe Plakis, 9575V
10-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Price out the cartridges, then add in that most, since it has a thin neck, are prone to splitting. Yes it is a nice looking carbine but nobody makes cheaper cases, there are some plastic ones out there but the tend not to last long due to how thin they are.

Plus I have heard they are not that fun to reload.

mdivancic
10-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Plus I have heard they are not that fun to reload.

Joe:

In what way? Can you give me more details?

RaiderANV
10-12-2009, 10:00 PM
[/quote]
To me its not all about what's best, but shooting what is historically interesting. Other wise I'd be looking at a Maynard or Smith which seem to be the most represented on the line for Carbines.
Thanks for the reply, keep them coming![/quote]

Scratches head,,,,,wondering what's not "historically interesting" ah-bout ah Maynard :?

I just sold the last of my Burnsides a few months ago. I shot one for fun a few times. You really have to watch sizing the rounds for the cases as you'll split expensive cases really easy. The blocks aren't flawless lined up when closing after all these years and you'll pinch the case mouth from time to time leading to another useless case in another round or two.
Plastic lasts about 3-5 rounds each then they either split or burn out the side.
One day while cursing a Burnside GOD spoke to me, religion set in and the Maynard addiction was born.

Edwin Flint, 8427
10-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Since I have never owned or shot a Burnside in any of its 5 variations, I hadn't planned on jumping into this but took a sip of the Irish and couldn't resist! :D

First, Historically, since you are with a Southern Unit, one of the muzzle loaded carbines would likely be more accurate. Southern troops shot a few Maynards and other BL carbines but by far, the Muzzle loaded variety was more common among the Southern troops.

Burnsides are interesting but from what I have observed, they can be a pain in the rear. The cartridge problems previously mentioned just the beginning. I have seen more break downs on the line of Burnsides than any other 2-3 carbines combined. Usually, springs of one sort or the other fail at inopportune times. The expense is another one complaint I have heard.

That being said, one team mate has shot a Burnside to great success but he has had a few break downs also. But he usually shoots a different gun every skirmish, so I might be confusing a Burnside with one of the many others he shoots.

I like the Smith, the MAynard and the Sharps. I had an excellent JP Murray that would not miss at 100 yards until I got talked out of it. Team events, you need a BL to be competitive. Individuals, you are just as well off with the ML.

Pick your posion and take a ride. It's all FUN!! Green

mdivancic
10-13-2009, 06:35 AM
Scratches head,,,,,wondering what's not "historically interesting" ah-bout ah Maynard :?

Nothing, should have said "historically interesting to me". Maynard is ruled out on price alone. I would perfer to shoot a repro, but none available for the Burnside. :(

I just sold the last of my Burnsides a few months ago. I shot one for fun a few times. You really have to watch sizing the rounds for the cases as you'll split expensive cases really easy. The blocks aren't flawless lined up when closing after all these years and you'll pinch the case mouth from time to time leading to another useless case in another round or two. Plastic lasts about 3-5 rounds each then they either split or burn out the side. One day while cursing a Burnside GOD spoke to me, religion set in and the Maynard addiction was born.

Are the Maynard cases that much cheaper than the Burnside cases? From what I saw at the Nationals they were about a buck cheaper than the Burnside?

mdivancic
10-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Since I have never owned or shot a Burnside in any of its 5 variations, I hadn't planned on jumping into this but took a sip of the Irish and couldn't resist! :D

First, Historically, since you are with a Southern Unit, one of the muzzle loaded carbines would likely be more accurate. Southern troops shot a few Maynards and other BL carbines but by far, the Muzzle loaded variety was more common among the Southern troops.

Well, historically infantry units shouldn't even be shooting carbines, right? :) However I have been considering the Richmond Sharps because of our unit.

Muzzleloaders were out numbered by more than 5:1 on the line up at Nationals. I want to add a breach loader to the collection.

Burnsides are interesting but from what I have observed, they can be a pain in the rear. The cartridge problems previously mentioned just the beginning. I have seen more break downs on the line of Burnsides than any other 2-3 carbines combined. Usually, springs of one sort or the other fail at inopportune times. The expense is another one complaint I have heard.

That being said, one team mate has shot a Burnside to great success but he has had a few break downs also. But he usually shoots a different gun every skirmish, so I might be confusing a Burnside with one of the many others he shoots.

Are the break down issues because someone is shooting a 150 year old firearm or is it specific to a Burnside? Would I have the same problem with an original Smith or Sharps?

I like the Smith, the MAynard and the Sharps. I had an excellent JP Murray that would not miss at 100 yards until I got talked out of it. Team events, you need a BL to be competitive. Individuals, you are just as well off with the ML.

Pick your posion and take a ride. It's all FUN!! Green

It is fun! Had the best time I've had in a while at the last Nationals. It was also the wife and my first skirmish. I really have to consider price whatever I buy because I'll be getting two carbines before next year. Because of this the Smith and Sharps are very attractive. So many choices, so little money!

Joe Plakis, 9575V
10-13-2009, 08:56 AM
The case is awkward, it is shaped like an ice-cream cone, and has a gas seal around the top.
My Uncle who has one said that they were difficult due to the shape, thin skirt where the bullet seats and few of the pre-made cases seal properly. He made his own cases out of old 30.06 cases but found that they split easier, plastic would burn out and split as well.

But you are right it is an attractive looking carbine, best of luck, let me know how it works out.

Greg Ogdan, 11444
10-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Mike,
It's always more fun when you HIT THE TARGET. Have you shot any of these yet please? If you're going to be at Statesville for the April Fool's, you might ask me or a teammate if you can take a few shots during individuals. These carbines fit and act differently and it will make a difference. Personally, I put up with all the hassle of the Sharps because I shoot it better. Just my $.02 worth.

mdivancic
10-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Mike,
It's always more fun when you HIT THE TARGET. Have you shot any of these yet please? If you're going to be at Statesville for the April Fool's, you might ask me or a teammate if you can take a few shots during individuals. These carbines fit and act differently and it will make a difference. Personally, I put up with all the hassle of the Sharps because I shoot it better. Just my $.02 worth.

Hit the target? Now why would I want to do that? That would be totally unexpected. :D

Just a Maynard so far, I don't think I'm going to get a chance to shoot a Burnside unless I buy one? We have two team members that have Smiths, so I'll see if I can shot one of them in November. Depends on if they show up. I'll be a Statesville all weekend and looking forward to it. My wife and I did shoulder a lot of the carbines at Nationals (well, I did anyway), but didn’t' get a chance to shoot any, the National were way to busy for that. I'll look you up there, what Sharps are you shooting?

Stacey and I have both had the chance to shoot a lot of muskets, but as we don't field a carbine team yet the options to try them are not a prevelant.

mdivancic
10-13-2009, 09:38 AM
The case is awkward, it is shaped like an ice-cream cone, and has a gas seal around the top.
My Uncle who has one said that they were difficult due to the shape, thin skirt where the bullet seats and few of the pre-made cases seal properly. He made his own cases out of old 30.06 cases but found that they split easier, plastic would burn out and split as well.

But you are right it is an attractive looking carbine, best of luck, let me know how it works out.

Thanks Joe, still thinking it over. Getting lots of good advice here. Wife would perfer that I didn't spend any money right now, so that may be the deciding factor! :)

Richard Hill
10-13-2009, 10:11 AM
A Burnside can be flogged into shooting well, but it can be fussy. First off: there's two types of cases for sale. The older cases have a flat bottom and on the ones I had I noticed that the interior dimensions varied, meaning I had to adjust the amount of filler for each case. The sliding portion of the breech block has a small rounded projection on it that was supposed to punch into the bottom of the original soft cartridge case to create a seal. The flat bottom cases will hammer this projection flat. The newer cases have a bottom that is shaped to fit this projection, and are slightly longer, which leads us to the next fix…

Both cases are too short. The sliding portion of the breech block is spring loaded forward, but the firing of the round will blast it backward allowing gas to escape, affecting accuracy. A brass shim needs to be fitted in the back of the frame to eliminate any rearward movement with a round in the chamber. Use a hole punch and a grocery sack to make little discs to be glued on the back of the case to cover the flash hole. This will make a good gasket and allow very little leakage.

The breech MUST close properly or you’ll ruin cases after 2-3 shots. If the gun is in good condition this is not a problem, but if the hook, or latch, has been worn or replaced you need to fix it. The how-to depends on what’s wrong to begin with.

A minor problem is the gain twist, which can cause rapid leading of the bore. Proper LUBE will cure this.

John Holland
10-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Mike,

Here are some other thoughts for you to consider.

The Sharps Carbine was seemingly the preferred carbine. That is why it was copied by the Confederacy, first by S.C. Robinson and then by the C.S. Armory at Richmond. It is the only U.S. Carbine actually copied by the Confederacy. If you think about it for a minute, that fact speaks volumes historically for buying a Sharps Carbine. When a battlefield was held by the Confederacy the Sharps was the premier carbine to salvage. All the others had logistic ammunition problems. Ammunition wasn't a logistic problem for the Sharps, because the Richmond Laboratory made Sharps Carbine ammunition, but not Smith, Burnside, etc.

Now, as to using a Sharps Carbine for skirmishing in the N-SSA. The Sharps has one distinct advantage over all the other Civil War Carbines you have seen being used in the N-SSA. It is the fastest shooting carbine on the line! The reason is the combustible cartridge. While the other competitors are removing a fired case the Sharps shooter is putting the next round into the chamber. Being a breech loader, with no case to remove, gives the Sharps the advantage over all other carbines on the line. As Greg pointed out, it is a bit of a bother to load ammunition, but worth it in the long run. There is now an alternative to wrapped cartridges, which is the paper tube glued to the cartridge. This was designed and developed by Charlie Hahn, who is also a member of the N-SSA and maintains a booth on Sutler's Row.

Personally, I have competed in carbine matches with muzzle loaders, two originals and a repro, a Burnside, a Smith, a Sharps, and both types of Maynards. I currently use a Model 2 Maynard because I'm too lazy to fiddle with the Sharps, and uhhh, actually, my wife also uses a Maynard and quite often loads my ammunition for me! PJ has said there were advantages to a Maynard and that's the biggest one for me! How's that for honesty!

John Holland
44th New York
N-SSA 1963

Joe Plakis, 9575V
10-13-2009, 11:28 AM
John is there anyway you could have Jackie run a seminar at the next Nationals Green . I will put Jen down on the list to come!

Greg Ogdan, 11444
10-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Mike,
I shoot a Shiloh;more expensive than the Italian guns, but nothing to fix, like inserts, O ring conversions etc.
Now, if I could just get MY wife to build my ammo....

RaiderANV
10-13-2009, 09:29 PM
The Sharps has one distinct advantage over all the other Civil War Carbines you have seen being used in the N-SSA. It is the fastest shooting carbine on the line!

Huh!?!?! Fastest ye thinks? Are ya gonna be at the Halloween shoot? Thinkin' we'll have ta put that ol' wives tale ta bed :roll:

I currently use a Model 2 Maynard because I'm too lazy to fiddle with the Sharps, and uhhh, actually, my wife also uses a Maynard and quite often loads my ammunition for me! PJ has said there were advantages to a Maynard and that's the biggest one for me! How's that for honesty!
John Holland
44th New York
N-SSA 1963

You know you don't deserve her,,,,,right Green

mdivancic
10-14-2009, 07:20 AM
I've noticed no Smith shooters have commented, just Maynard and Sharps. This is not counting John and Edwin who have seemed to shot everything. :)

So why is that? there were a lot of Smith shooters on the line. Are they so happy with their weapon the don't feel the need to comment?

The wife read this thread last night and she's leaning toward a Sharps at this point.

Greg Ogdan, 11444
10-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Mike,
Just FYI, our A Carbine team is about 1/2 Smiths and 1/2 Sharps. B team about the same. I think thay htere just may not any cyberqueens that shoot the Smiths. Yeah, I said that, me included.

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
10-14-2009, 09:11 AM
I have shot a variety of original Smiths over the years. They are very reliable competitive skirmish carbines. Very easy to load for, and clean. Mechanically reliable.

The current Smith I am shooting I have used for 10 years, with no problems at all.

I shoot the a 390 grain Tom Lagoe bullet, with 35 grains of 2F, lubed with GBS lube. And I start every season with new black plastic tubes.

Phil

Joe Plakis, 9575V
10-14-2009, 11:16 AM
I have shot three types of Carbines over the years.

The first I eveer owned was an Enfield Musketoon, I know tons of people that shoot them and I am no longer one of them. To straight of a stock for my liking.

Second was a Navy Arms Smith Carbine, I shot that for about seven years. Had a Hoyt liner put in it to correct the barrel issues. Original barrel was tight at the breech and muzzle but flared in the middle. Nipple clean out screw was also an issue and had to be fixed by Hoyt. People have had the screw blow out while firing! As for the ease of use and loading, a dream, my father has been using the same plastic cases for years. Rivets in the base and we resize the tubes, they tend to swell over time. Used to tape the flash-hole but now put a small amount of nail polish on the hole to seal it. It is probably the easiest breechloading carbine to make rounds for, and there are numerous bullets available.

The Carbine I shoot now is an Richmond Carbine "1861 Springfield Type" Being 27 I can keep up with the average carbine shooter, and manage 3-4 shots a minute. I like the way this gun just holds for me, the Hoyt Lined barrel shoots ragged holes of the bench and in competition is just as good. The gun luckily shoots the same round as my musket, size and powder! Which is a welcome benefit.

The best advice given so far is to just get out and shoot all of the different types of carbines. Ask teammates if you can take a few shoots at an individual target at a regional. Talk to them about the pros and cons that they have experienced.

Greg Ogdan, 11444
10-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Joe,
Glad to know you're only 27. sure wish I were! Of course you wouldn't pull my let a bit, would you?

paul w/McGregor's 385V
10-14-2009, 01:45 PM
PJ,
Them fence markers of yours are not a bad choice when you need something to fry your finger tips. Metallic shell, easy to carry, grab with a rag after a relay.

Own a Yeck Smith, nice shooting carbine, plastic tubes make it easy to load.

Shoot a Shiloh, Ott's (r.i.p.) did the conversion to an "o"ring quite a while back. Use the original style XMAS tree ringtail, soft lead. Hits where I have it pointed.

Loading a round:

Roll the lubed bullet in an EZ Wider Double Wide rolling paper, 42gr FFFg. Been working fine since 1976. Wish my vision and hold were as consistent.

Take care and be safe
pfb

Joe Plakis, 9575V
10-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Greg I apologize for my youth, but it only comes from me telling my Father that he can shoot my Richmond, when he is having a bad day, and him saying that he is to old for that crap! I like it but others like the ease of loading that other carbines bring.

RaiderANV
10-14-2009, 02:31 PM
PJ,
Them fence markers of yours are not a bad choice when you need something to fry your finger tips. Metallic shell, easy to carry, grab with a rag after a relay.

Further comments like this and GOD will be having Saint Peter turn to your name in the "Great Book" :!:

It'll be kinda hard to place that black mark next to your name as Saint Peter tries to fight that permanent crease in Jim Mulligan's page forcing the book back to that page. :roll:

And ya needs to ditch those "EZ Wider Double Wide rolling paper"( I know,,,,old habits are hard to break) and get ya some of those curler rolling papers from the beauty supply store. OMG :shock: Bad mental pic of Paul walking into the store <snicker>

RangerFrog
10-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Back to the original intent of this post (as I understand it.) I humbly rise to defend (along with my not-so-humble friend PJ) the Maynard carbine. The first team event I shot at Ft Shenandoah was with, IIRC, a borrowed Maynard repro with borrowed plastic cased ammo. I was so sold I never looked back but kept plowing ahead with Maynards. My background in single shot rifle shooting simply suggested that I use the Maynard and remember to add the capping step, and I'm good to go. Dr Maynard was a true genius and I'm a true believer. "Try it, you'll like it!!"

Froggie

mdivancic
10-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks for all the help and advice folks!

Dixie had the "Pedersoli Confederate Sharps Carbine" on sale for $775. This is the one that is NOT N-SSA approved. Is there anyway to do work on this gun to get it approved? It's the cheapest anyone will ever find a Pedersoli for if it can be modified to get an individual approval from the Small arms Committee.

At this point it looks like we are leaning towards a Sharps, but we are going to wait until after the Skirmish at Statesville next moth before we spend any money.

Terry Davis 10639
10-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Mike,
I shoot a Shiloh;more expensive than the Italian guns, but nothing to fix, like inserts, O ring conversions etc.
Now, if I could just get MY wife to build my ammo....

I wouldn't say that exactly. I have a shiloh sharps, and had the o ring conversion done as the breech face was pitted pretty badly when I bought it. Since the conversion, perfection. I put 70 rounds through it one afternoon when I was sighting it in and never had to pull the breechblock.
When I got into carbine, I decided I wanted something other than a muzzle stuffer for variety. I was already shooting musket, and wanted something different for carbine, otheriwse I felt like I was shooting musket two days in a row.
I bought an original smith and the sharps at about the same time. I shot the smith for two years before getting the sharps set up. It was really charlie hann's paper tubes that got me to try it out.

The original smith shoots very well, as good as I can hold it. BUT, the stock drop is not as great as the sharps. I have to lay my head flatter on the smith. When I first started shooting the sharps, the heavier drop at the wrist puts my eye right in line with the sights. It just comes in line with my eye so much easier.
It does group tighter than the smith, but both are more than adequate for breaking targets. I like not having to mess with empties, but the paper tubes add up after a while, where as the brass smith tubes are expensive up front, but pretty much last a lifetime. So that is a wash.
each has its quirks, like the tendancy of the smith stocks to crack where they meet the frame, and the little blast of powder out the barrel/reciever joint, but the sharps can have sealing issues and start gumming up and being hard to open, making an oring modification necessary. I also have to remember to cock the hammer to half cock and remove the spent cap before opening to avoid the spent cap jamming things up, but it becomes reflex pretty quickly.
I like both, but overall I shoot a bit better with the sharps, mostly because of the way it fits me, and for the most part my original smith has been retired to the safe for now.

Terry

Terry Davis 10639
10-16-2009, 12:02 AM
I've noticed no Smith shooters have commented, just Maynard and Sharps. This is not counting John and Edwin who have seemed to shot everything. :)

So why is that? there were a lot of Smith shooters on the line. Are they so happy with their weapon the don't feel the need to comment?

The wife read this thread last night and she's leaning toward a Sharps at this point.

Wait until you start using your wife's tissue wrapping paper for covering the ends of the paper tubes. See if she likes the sharps then. Tell me what happens when she finds all her wrapping tissue with 1/2" diameter holes punched through them a couple hours before a party.

They get over it in 3-4 years.

Actually she likes to sit in front of the TV and make my tubes up for me now, probably to make sure her tissue is safe, and she helps me make musket rounds. She likes to put the bullets in and grease the bases after I fill them.

So make sure you get the one your wife likes to load ammo for the most.

mdivancic
10-16-2009, 07:29 AM
I wouldn't say that exactly. I have a shiloh sharps, and had the o ring conversion done as the breech face was pitted pretty badly when I bought it. Since the conversion, perfection. I put 70 rounds through it one afternoon when I was sighting it in and never had to pull the breechblock.

Did you do both the pressure plate and breach, or just one of them. One thing I found when researching this is that there is no consensus on this. Some folks have done the whole thing, some just the pressure plate, other say you don't need it at all, if you grease it right, etc.

When I got into carbine, I decided I wanted something other than a muzzle stuffer for variety. I was already shooting musket, and wanted something different for carbine, otheriwse I felt like I was shooting musket two days in a row.

The wife and I have the same feeling about this. We want to try something other than a musket for the same reasons.

I bought an original smith and the sharps at about the same time. I shot the smith for two years before getting the sharps set up. It was really charlie hann's paper tubes that got me to try it out.

The original smith shoots very well, as good as I can hold it. BUT, the stock drop is not as great as the sharps. I have to lay my head flatter on the smith. When I first started shooting the sharps, the heavier drop at the wrist puts my eye right in line with the sights. It just comes in line with my eye so much easier.
It does group tighter than the smith, but both are more than adequate for breaking targets. I like not having to mess with empties, but the paper tubes add up after a while, where as the brass smith tubes are expensive up front, but pretty much last a lifetime. So that is a wash.
Each has its quirks, like the tendancy of the smith stocks to crack where they meet the frame, and the little blast of powder out the barrel/reciever joint, but the sharps can have sealing issues and start gumming up and being hard to open, making an oring modification necessary. I also have to remember to cock the hammer to half cock and remove the spent cap before opening to avoid the spent cap jamming things up, but it becomes reflex pretty quickly.
I like both, but overall I shoot a bit better with the sharps, mostly because of the way it fits me, and for the most part my original smith has been retired to the safe for now.

Terry

Thanks Terry. Still haven't decided, but I did let the Burnside I was looking at pass for now.

mdivancic
10-16-2009, 07:37 AM
Wait until you start using your wife's tissue wrapping paper for covering the ends of the paper tubes. See if she likes the sharps then. Tell me what happens when she finds all her wrapping tissue with 1/2" diameter holes punched through them a couple hours before a party.

They get over it in 3-4 years.

Aah, but my wife shoots, better than me most of the time. She also takes care of her own guns and ammo. If we go with sharps she will get one as well. She is leaning towards the Sharps right now, unless someone comes up with a real good reason we should shoot something else. (We shoot different caliber muskets, which means twice the expense on molds, etc. We want to avoid this for Carbines from the start so we'll be getting two of whatever we choose.)

Actually she likes to sit in front of the TV and make my tubes up for me now, probably to make sure her tissue is safe, and she helps me make musket rounds. She likes to put the bullets in and grease the bases after I fill them.

So make sure you get the one your wife likes to load ammo for the most.

All part of the plan! In fact we'll be loading some musket tubes tonight so we can sight her musket in tomorrow if we get a chance.

Greg Ogdan, 11444
10-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Mike,
A couple of tips for the Sharps. I grease the h*ll out of the pressure plate recess and whole breech block area using high temp high pressure bearing grease. That will go a very long way towards addressing the fouling problem in that area.
As for caps for Charlie's tubes, buy an arch punch the size you want at Ace Hdwe and cut the end caps from tracing paper bought in a tablet from Staples.

Terry Davis 10639
10-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Did you do both the pressure plate and breach, or just one of them. One thing I found when researching this is that there is no consensus on this. Some folks have done the whole thing, some just the pressure plate, other say you don't need it at all, if you grease it right, etc.

Thanks Terry. Still haven't decided, but I did let the Burnside I was looking at pass for now.[/quote]

Hard to remember now but I bought the sharps used for a great price. It was a perfect bore, metal and wood, but had a pretty good size pit of erosion on the pressure plate. Someone shot the hell out of it, but took great care of it.

I gave it to a guy here in the NWT who 'smiths sharps, and does it right. He made a stainless plate and put an o-ring groove in the base of the recess of the breach block. has worked flawlessly ever since. Some guys change o-rings after every shoot, but I shot the same oring all this season, and it is still fine. The gun has never gummed up on me and I have to do nothing between relays except wipe out the action.

With the raised front sight, I still could not find a rear sight position that was right. So, I bought a replacement rear sight slider at nationals and fitted it to my ladder. I then shot, filed off the bottom of the slider until it came in at 50 yards. So that way, I didn't file the original slider, which was kinda loose anyway.

So, I shoot wit the ladder standing up but the slider at the bottom for 50, and slide it up to the 3 mark for 100 yards.

I see Greg uses tracing paper for the tubes. Another sharps shooter in our region uses phone book pages. I get 2-3 of them in the mail box in a year, so I am probaby going to go to that. I tried it and had no misfires and it is free. As Greg says get a1/2" hollow punch and some elmers glue and you will be all set. BTW, I use the christmas tree bullet and the small base fits right into the tubes, not always tight enough so I use a dab of elmers on the bullet/tube to keep them on. Also, you might want to consider compartmentalized standing cartridge boxes because if you loose pack them in cigar boxes or something the bullets will poke holes in the paper of the other tubes and let the powder out. Ask me how I know...

Scotch
10-17-2009, 08:41 AM
I have a nice Burbside for sale. only $1,000.00 My e-mail is JTackus@AOL.com

RaiderANV
10-17-2009, 01:17 PM
,,,,,,,Burbside,,,,,

Yer momma warned ya ah-bout that Scotch :roll:

Eric A. Savickas, 08663V
10-17-2009, 07:00 PM
PJ: you are not one to point out misspelling!

RangerFrog
10-17-2009, 08:15 PM
With PJ, it isn't misspelling, he is just too creative to use one single way like everyone else!! Green

Froggie

mdivancic
10-18-2009, 07:51 AM
Hey, I knew what he was talking about! :)

Thanks for all the help on this guys! Now me and the wife have to just make up our minds on what we are going to do. We are going to try and shoot a Smith and/or Sharps at the next Statesville, NC skirmish if we get a chance. We'll let you know how this turns out.

mwmoore10261
10-18-2009, 10:15 AM
I shoot a model 2 Maynard using the plastic cases. If cost and ease of reloading are determining factors, then buy a maynard or smith. The cost savings in not having to buy brass cases will after a couple shooting seasons more than offset the initial cost of the weapon. The difference in cost of finding a shootable Burnside and a Maynard are minor when you factor in the cartridge price. Replacement parts for the Burnside are also harder to obtain. I bought a new shootable Maynard at the Fall Nationals, took 2 tiles at 100 yards using original sights, for $1150. That's only about $300 more than a repop Sharps or Smith. This is an expensive hobby so buy a quality weapon once and smile once you've worked up your load and sight picture and are hitting consistantly.
Michael Moore, St Mary's Light Infantry, 10261

John Holland
10-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Mike,

I'm curious, how many shots do you get out of one plastic Maynard case?

JDH

mdivancic
10-18-2009, 12:14 PM
I shoot a model 2 Maynard using the plastic cases. If cost and ease of reloading are determining factors, then buy a maynard or smith. The cost savings in not having to buy brass cases will after a couple shooting seasons more than offset the initial cost of the weapon. The difference in cost of finding a shootable Burnside and a Maynard are minor when you factor in the cartridge price. Replacement parts for the Burnside are also harder to obtain. I bought a new shootable Maynard at the Fall Nationals, took 2 tiles at 100 yards using original sights, for $1150. That's only about $300 more than a repop Sharps or Smith. This is an expensive hobby so buy a quality weapon once and smile once you've worked up your load and sight picture and are hitting consistantly.
Michael Moore, St Mary's Light Infantry, 10261

I have been able to find a nice Maynard for under $2000 (yet). Still looking for anything (and everything).

RangerFrog
10-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Michael I. - I don't know what the prices are like where you are, but there were several good shootable original 2nd Model Maynards available at the Fall Nationals for well under the $2000 figure mentioned. :) In fact, you probably could have outfitted yourself with a good shooting and OK appearing carbine, 100 round of brass cases and a good bullet mould for that budget. It seems that with the economy where it is, some of the N-SSA brethren (if not all of us :cry: ) are having to divest ourselves of some of our extra toys, so it is a bit of a buyers' market. I don't know how much longer it will last, but for now you probably have the opportunity to do well. 8)

Froggie

PS Remember, pretty don't shoot, good bores do. Look for a slightly ugly but good shooting carbine if you are on a budget (aren't we all!)

S.Sullivan
10-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Timing is everything, I sold my Romano Maynard for $1800.00, like pulling teeth, to a guy who saw it on this BB, but lives in California. My Shiloh Sharps sat here for several weeks, sold to a guy here in Illinois after selling my son's to a stalwart in Mississippi (for $800.00 each!). So, shoot the things if others will let you on a trial basis, and be patient, as the upcoming season is when fellows sell the carbine you are looking for at the same time they are looking for something new as well.
I have seen some really nice Burbsides. One thing you must consider is that our use is unique to that of the original owners. They had issued ammo, used once and the shell became garbage. N-SSA shooters worry about how many times it (the shell) can be fired, not a worry in 1864.
Try them all, then decide as you are unique and what works for some will not work for all.
S.Sullivan

mdivancic
10-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Michael I. - I don't know what the prices are like where you are, but there were several good shootable original 2nd Model Maynards available at the Fall Nationals for well under the $2000 figure mentioned. :) In fact, you probably could have outfitted yourself with a good shooting and OK appearing carbine, 100 round of brass cases and a good bullet mould for that budget. It seems that with the economy where it is, some of the N-SSA brethren (if not all of us :cry: ) are having to divest ourselves of some of our extra toys, so it is a bit of a buyers' market. I don't know how much longer it will last, but for now you probably have the opportunity to do well. 8)

Froggie

PS Remember, pretty don't shoot, good bores do. Look for a slightly ugly but good shooting carbine if you are on a budget (aren't we all!)

I'm trying to keep MY spending below $1,000 so a $2,000 carbine is out! I've got to buy two. So yes there were lots of Maynards (and Smiths) for good prices at nationals, but more than I can spend right now. Also, it may seem strange, but I want a gun that look nice as well as shoots good. Still looking. Still thinking. Still playing the lottery. :D

mdivancic
10-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Timing is everything, I sold my Romano Maynard for $1800.00, like pulling teeth, to a guy who saw it on this BB, but lives in California. My Shiloh Sharps sat here for several weeks, sold to a guy here in Illinois after selling my son's to a stalwart in Mississippi (for $800.00 each!). So, shoot the things if others will let you on a trial basis, and be patient, as the upcoming season is when fellows sell the carbine you are looking for at the same time they are looking for something new as well.
I have seen some really nice Burbsides. One thing you must consider is that our use is unique to that of the original owners. They had issued ammo, used once and the shell became garbage. N-SSA shooters worry about how many times it (the shell) can be fired, not a worry in 1864.
Try them all, then decide as you are unique and what works for some will not work for all.
S.Sullivan

Thanks, I'm not in any hurry now, that's why I passed on the Burnside I was looking at. Hopefully we will get a chance to shoot some carbines in a couple weeks up in Statesville. We still get to shoot rifles while I'm looking so we are still having fun!

RaiderANV
10-18-2009, 07:27 PM
PJ: you are not one to point out misspelling!

I can't helps it. This dang spell check don't do our fine "Southron" spell check'n :roll:

mdivancic
10-27-2009, 04:30 PM
A while back I asked:

Dixie had the "Pedersoli Confederate Sharps Carbine" on sale for $775. This is the one that is NOT N-SSA approved. Is there anyway to do work on this gun to get it approved? It's the cheapest anyone will ever find a Pedersoli for if it can be modified to get an individual approval from the Small arms Committee.

Someone suggested I ask Dixie, here's there reply:

Dear Sir:
Our gunsmith says the approved one has a different barrel band, front sight location is slightly different and it has the sling swivel and base on the buttstock.
Thank you,
DGW

So, can it be fixedup to be shot in a Skrimish. Would it be worth it?