PDA

View Full Version : maynard load?

Scott Lynch 1460V
04-12-2016, 10:40 AM
I purchased a Harper's Ferry Maynard and would like to know what to feed it? I have a 515 bullet mould for my smith and also have a shorter round nosed bullet mould that I found while antiquing in my own junk. It is about the same diameter. Feedback?? Thanks Scott

Kevin Tinny
04-12-2016, 01:45 PM
Hello, Mr. Lynch:

Respectfully suggest that you contact John Bly for assistance. He knows what's involved.

Regards,

Kevin Tinny

Chris Sweeney
04-12-2016, 01:47 PM
The thing you gotta watch for with the HF Maynards is chamber diameter. Most if not all of them were made for a proprietary white plastic case that had a significantly larger O. D. You couldn't use the black plastic cases because they'd blow apart at the first use. Reduced capacity brass cases would bulge at the mouth; they would split if you didn't anneal them frequently. I ended up getting mine relined.

Also, review the SAC rules for these. There was a lower limit to the acceptable serial numbers (forget what I was). Guns before that # were not allowed due to some safety problem.

IIRC, the bores used to vary a lot, so you definitely need to slug it before choosing a bullet. I used the Lyman smith Maynard bullet, which shot OK.

ms3635v
04-12-2016, 02:05 PM
In the list of approved firearms (6/1/2015), it notes that the Harpers Ferry Arms 2nd Model Maynard (dated 1976 or later) are approved.

Scott Lynch 1460V
04-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the info. The one I bought is dated 1976 and is approved. The black plastic tubes seem to be a good fit in the chamber. we will see. suggested powder charge?

Chris Sweeney
04-12-2016, 03:39 PM
A lot of them ended up making a trip through Hoyt's shop, so maybe yours has too

John Bly
04-12-2016, 06:30 PM
Sorry 'bout your bad luck there Scott. But since you've got it try 22-25 grains of FFF and any bullet that fits it. Many of those HF Maynards had chambers cut with a 9/16" (.562") reamer and as was mentioned they will split the brass cases. Many were lined by Hoyt and use standard cases.