PDA

View Full Version : How is the front sight attached on an original 1859 Sharps Carbine?

Hal
04-05-2016, 07:38 AM
Can someone please tell me how the front sight is held on an original 1859 Sharps Carbine? I originally thought the steel sight base was just soldered to the barrel, but on closer inspection, it looks like there MAY be a dove tail, but I'm not sure. Also, how is the brass blade held in the sight base? It appears the base has a channel milled through the center and the brass blade fits down inside it. I do NOT see any pins to hold it in though. Is the blade soldered into the steel base?

I need to put a taller blade on, but I don't trust my soldering skills to do a neat job. I can usually stick two pieces of metal together, but I can't say they don't usually have a lot of solder all over the outside when I'm done, so I am apprehensive about trying it myself. No local gunsmith wants to touch it, so I am considering doing it myself, but I REALLY don't want to mess up the patina on this rifle. It is too nice to do a crappy job on.

If the brass blade is soldered in the base and the base is dovetailed to the barrel, I may try it. If the base is soldered to the barrel, I'm afraid I will melt that solder when trying to replace the blade in the base.

Thanks,

Hal

John Holland
04-05-2016, 08:03 AM
Hal - The front sight base is dovetailed and brazed into place, and is not adjustable for windage. The sight blade is held in by being tightly pinched in place. You can remove it with a small drift properly shaped to fit the slot. Once you have removed the sight blade all you have to do is fabricate a same sized copy which is taller in height and drive it back into the slot. Do not lose the original sight blade!

K. Herrick
04-05-2016, 09:00 AM
Hal,

Check your private messages.

Kevin

Hal
04-06-2016, 12:10 PM
Thanks Guys. That doesn't sound too intimidating. Gonna give it a try.

Hal
04-09-2016, 06:45 AM
Well, it was pinned after all. The pin ends were completely invisible under the patina. The pin was sheared in two places upon driving out the blade, but no damage to the gun. I have a new sight fitted and a brass pin made, but haven't piened the ends yet. Got called in to supper.