PDA

View Full Version : Skirmish sights

ChapK
04-03-2016, 11:11 AM
I am looking to buy a new 2 band Enfield and wondered about who will fit it with skirmish sights. Does Lodgewood do that work? Where can I even purchase skirmish sights for an Enfield?

Maillemaker
04-03-2016, 02:18 PM
It's pretty easy to install a taller front sight on an Enfield; you don't even need to install a dovetail.

The front site looks like a little block with a blade on it. Carefully file off the blade until you are left with the block.

Then fashion yourself a blade out of some 1/8" thick sheet metal. Carefully file a slot down the centerline of the block until your new blade will fit into it.

Then solder it in place. You can file it to one side or another to adjust windage somewhat as needed. Then file it in height to get vertical.

Or you can have a dovetail front sight installed. SS Firearms sells them.

Steve

Curt
04-03-2016, 05:49 PM
Hallo!

The rear ladder sight can be a bit harder.
On the 'Naval Rifle' I used for two seasons before building an M1855 RM, I just went with the higher front blade.
However, some lads will drill a "peep" sight into the rear sight's bar slide and set the height adjustment then for 50 and 100 yard shooting.

Curt

jonk
04-05-2016, 11:09 PM
I moved on from my Enfield, but still have it as a backup, that shoots pretty well... Euroarms with a Hoyt reworked barrel (he deepened the rifling and straightened the barrel). Here's what I did:

1. File the front sight smooth with the base.
2. Cut a notch in the base with a hack saw.
3. Solder a piece of brass into said notch. Roughly what you think should be 'right.'
4. Superglue a piece of 1/16" sheet steel to the rear sight.
5. This is the hard part. Drill a peep hole in the sheet steel. I got lucky and got it right straight off.

If you need to move it, do so; then re glue. Once you are happy with where it is, mark the sheet steel with a scribe, then solder into place.

The easy way would be to have a front dovetail milled in, which a number of smiths can do, and when you are happy with where it is, solder or braze it in place.

MR. GADGET
04-06-2016, 07:15 AM
Euroarms with a Hoyt reworked barrel (he deepened the rifling and straightened the barrel). .

How did that work? And what was the cost to have it recut?

I have a few Euroarms that I have thought about having the rifling cleaned up.
New they were very light thin rifling.