PDA

View Full Version : Short S.N& W.T.C.

Steve Weems
04-03-2016, 12:08 AM
I was showing my short 31 inch barrel S.N. & W.T. C. At the Wannemacher show in Tulsa today.
one of the vendor/collectors noticed there had been a slight tapering of the last part of the barrel
toward the muzzle and felt it had been done to allow for a bayonet of which he had an example.
So he installed it and it snapped into place. He also noticed the rear sight was from a 50-70.
Curious if any of the members here also have the barrel tapered for a bayonet on their short
S.N. & W.T.C. Muskets.

Southron Sr.
04-03-2016, 07:38 AM
In the early 1970's I was shooting in the Individual Matches at a Nationals and a fella shooting next to me had an original contract made, U.S. M1861 that was a "two bander." Now, the front of the barrel had been turned down on a lathe. After we were through shooting, I struck up a conversation with him about his unique rifle. According too the owner of that arm, it took a regular U.S. M1855 socket bayonet.

What was unusual about that? Well, that M1861, instead of having a "taper," to the barrel had a distinct "shoulder" that the back end of the bayonet touched when it (the bayonet) was installed on the rifle!

When I thought about it, having that "shoulder" on the barrel that the back end of the bayonet rested on would take a lot of stress IF that "bayonet fixed rifle" was used to violently bayonet an enemy soldier. When you think about it, it is a superior design over that of a regular issue (three band) rifle musket where the front sight and the taper of the barrel takes the stress when the bayonet equipped rifle is used to impale the enemy.

Nope, I don't remember the name of that Skirmisher who owned that rifle, nor do I remember the contractor's name on the lockplate of that two bander.

Whether that two bander wasd made during "the Whar" or was "cut down" by a post war ddealder to facilitate its sale to a military school or para military organizatgion, I have no idea.

Muley Gil
04-03-2016, 12:02 PM
I have a cut down 1863 that was probably a "cadet" drill rifle for some post-war military school. It will also take a 1855 pattern socket bayonet.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
04-10-2016, 03:58 PM
I have a cut down 1863 that was probably a "cadet" drill rifle for some post-war military school. It will also take a 1855 pattern socket bayonet.
As a collector and N-ssa shooter anyone is always welcome to discuss firearms / shooting at our "Table of Knowledge" located in Yecks sutlery across from Lodgewood at the Nastionals. Good information that doesn't cost you a dime. For years this has been a hangout in Sutlers for the folks that want to know and Do know. Bruce

John Holland
04-10-2016, 08:05 PM
It is very nice of Bruce to invite everyone to his booth, and what I call the "Square Round Table". One late afternoon I took stock of the 4 people sitting around his table and counted over 200 collective years of experience casually chatting about the things they knew and spent a lifetime enjoying! Thank you, Bruce!

RaiderANV
04-10-2016, 09:40 PM
John......who are the other three guys there with Bruce that have five or six years each??

Bruce Cobb 1723V
04-11-2016, 10:03 AM
I think thats a compliment for one of us.