PDA

View Full Version : 1861 Hammer variants???

CAGerringer
03-29-2016, 03:57 PM
I have a Model 1855/1861 hammer that has checkering in a shield on the cocking portion of the hammer. (You know...where your thumb goes!) Anyway, most of the hammers I've seen have a series of lines cris-crossed for your thumb. Does anyone know who made the hammer with the checkered shield on it?
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

Cannonman1
03-31-2016, 08:58 AM
Took a look at the originals I have and all of the 61's and 55's are the crosshatched pattern.. My 63 has a shield but the 61's are as mentioned.. Albeit they are all Springfields and possibly one of the many sub contracts put a shield on their hammer that I don't know about. Just FYI...
Bill

Cannonman1
03-31-2016, 09:00 AM
There may be some early repro's that were made that way and look awfully aged at this point. Keep that in mind.

BADSHOT
03-31-2016, 09:50 AM
I know Trenton locks used Hammers like this, and I'm not sure who actually made them, other contracts used them too, I recently saw a robinson lock with a hammer like this, but with parts interchanging so easily nowadays who can say if it was original to the plate?

Michael Bodner
03-31-2016, 12:33 PM
"the part where your thumb goes" is called the HAMMER SPUR.

ms3635v
03-31-2016, 05:21 PM
I just looked a my muskets and the Trenton and the Norris and Clements have the shield pattern on the spur and the Colt, Bridesburg, Springfield and Savage have the engraving that is not in the shape of a shield.

CAGerringer
03-31-2016, 06:20 PM
I just looked a my muskets and the Trenton and the Norris and Clements have the shield pattern on the spur and the Colt, Bridesburg, Springfield and Savage have the engraving that is not in the shape of a shield.

Thanks to everyone for the inputs. Mine was found on a '62 Springfield lock, but as Badshot pointed out, parts are interchangeable and there's no telling where it came from originally. Is there a connection between the Trenton, Norris, and Clements factories ...such as a nearby sub-contractor?

Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons