PDA

View Full Version : Oil

Eggman
03-28-2016, 05:41 PM
N-SSA types are pretty meticulous about keeping their firearms well protected by lubes of various ilk. Does anyone know the specifics about the oil the original Civil War folks used. I am also curious about the type of container it came in (I'd love to see a photo). Sam Watkins references an oil cloth he carried around, but nothing else.

Don Dixon
03-28-2016, 06:42 PM
The U.S. Army Ordnance Manual called for whale oil.

The Austro-Hungarian Army manual for the Muster 1854 System Lorenz rifles called for pure olive oil and mutton tallow. Several rags were to be carried, one for oil, one for grease, and several for washing and drying the bore.

Lieutenant Leander Stillwell, Company D, 61st Illinois infantry, used a piece of bacon.

So, there were a variety of solutions. Petrolium based products wouldn't have been available yet.

I can't help you with a description of a Federal or Confederate oil/grease container.

Regards,
Don Dixon
2881V

Rebel Dave
03-28-2016, 07:54 PM
Wow...... How times have changed. Nowadays, if you don't use a 4 oz bottle, of some kind of wonder oil @ $25.00 a bottle your out of it. I just use ballistol,
Kind of a natural thing.

I think back in CW times, it would have been Whale oil, or olive oil, (in europe at least). but the container, I don't know. I have often wondered that my self.
I doubt the regular soldier on either side carried oil. Maybe mechanics had containers of oil, maybe some sargents.

Rebel Dave

Eggman
03-30-2016, 07:33 PM
This got me thinking, since Sea World is getting rid of their killer whales, has anyone contacted them about the idea of boiling the whales down to provide us some authentic lube.

John Holland
03-30-2016, 09:40 PM
Nice thought, but too bad Killer Whales are actually just big Dolphins!

RaiderANV
03-30-2016, 09:48 PM
Mix it 50/50.....BIG Dolphin/Crisco???