PDA

View Full Version : Garrett Sharps cleaning questions

Cannonman1
03-28-2016, 10:17 AM
As a newbie to this forum I hope this question is going in the right area.. I assume so.
I have just purchased a Garrett Sharps Carbine in .54 that appears in almost new condition.. Coming off of Gunbroker, I have not seen it yet so this post is a bit premature but I anticipate some questions.
I am most concerned with the cleaning of the chamber seal and understand that the Garrett simulates the original to a large extent and having a Shiloh I am used to just removing and cleaning the face plate by prying it out of the sliding breech block, lubing it and putting it back... Simple.
In looking around it appears maintenance of the other Sharps reproductions is a bit more complicated. Is there a special tool required for the Garrett to pull and service the barrel/chamber portion??. Asking for anyone who has owned or currently owns a Garrett to chime in and share information. I also see that the use of an O ring is common. Does that negate the need to service the barrel bushing?
I will be using a ringtail bullet or .54 minie and paper cartridges.
Thanks
Bill

Cannonman1
03-30-2016, 08:51 PM
As a newbie to this forum I hope this question is going in the right area.. I assume so.
I have just purchased a Garrett Sharps Carbine in .54 that appears in almost new condition.. Coming off of Gunbroker, I have not seen it yet so this post is a bit premature but I anticipate some questions.
I am most concerned with the cleaning of the chamber seal and understand that the Garrett simulates the original to a large extent and having a Shiloh I am used to just removing and cleaning the face plate by prying it out of the sliding breech block, lubing it and putting it back... Simple.
In looking around it appears maintenance of the other Sharps reproductions is a bit more complicated. Is there a special tool required for the Garrett to pull and service the barrel/chamber portion??. Asking for anyone who has owned or currently owns a Garrett to chime in and share information. I also see that the use of an O ring is common. Does that negate the need to service the barrel bushing?
I will be using a ringtail bullet or .54 minie and paper cartridges.
Thanks
Bill

Just talked to Charlie Hahn and he has done his magic on this one already. He walked me through the process and I am set.. Good to know we have a man like Charlie out there for us.