PDA

View Full Version : 315 grain Wadcutter for the Sharps Carbine

Tom
03-27-2016, 05:52 PM
I heard about such a thing. I saw one and it does not look the same as the Wadcutter shot in a rifle musket.

Does anyone know where a 315 grain Wadcutter for the Sharps Carbine can purchased? Can the dowel rods and instructions for making the cartridges be purchased at the same place?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
03-28-2016, 10:17 AM
I heard about such a thing. I saw one and it does not look the same as the Wadcutter shot in a rifle musket.

Does anyone know where a 315 grain Wadcutter for the Sharps Carbine can purchased? Can the dowel rods and instructions for making the cartridges be purchased at the same place?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
I think you may be talking about the original mould / mold design that Shiloh in New York made. It was more like a small ashcan type mould / mold and came in a kit with dowel rod and papers to roll your own. Good Luck. Look for a "Shiloh" made moulds.

jonk
03-28-2016, 12:06 PM
I've got a shiloh trashcan mold that I picked up from somewhere. I never weighed the bullets it would make but will check and see if it's the 315 you are talking about. I don't use it much, so if it's 'it' I may be willing to sell it. I'll do that and take a few pics this evening.

It doesn't have a ringtail base. You can still make papers that fit it and glue to the base, but Charlie's tubes won't work, just to say.

Tom
03-28-2016, 09:20 PM
Thank you Bruce and Jonk. I know a little more now. I appreciate it.

gmkmd
04-03-2016, 07:53 AM
I'm interested in your Shiloh trashcan mold. PM sent.

geezmo
04-05-2016, 07:21 PM
Tom,

I just weighed my Shiloh molded slug. It's 425 grains. I know of people shooting different hollow base bullets in their Sharps. Some have shot the old Lyman 533476 minie. That's a little heavier than 315 grains. I have a Rapine 540250 light minie which is actually closer to 265 grains. Maybe a mold maker out there making something like that. Have you tried Moose?

Barry

geezmo
04-05-2016, 07:51 PM
Tom,

I just had another thought. What about the Lee R.E.A.L. (Rifling engraved at loading) molds? Check out their site leeprecision.com. They have a 54 cal mold in the 300 grain range. It looks like a trashcan/semiwadcutter.

BS

jonk
04-05-2016, 11:00 PM
I might have a Lee REAL mold too. Forget if I sold mine or not. it shot good for the guy I bought the gun from, I had better luck with the Rapine Christmas tree.

I'll have a look if you are interested. Very similar to a trashcan, has just a SLIGHT nose to it.