PDA

View Full Version : Snell Alteration Mississippi Rifles

SyLibby
03-26-2016, 10:27 AM
Hello,
I have been getting things together to do a Snell altered Mississippi rifle. I was fortunate enough to aquire one of Mr. Spaugey's reproduction snell bayonets. One part I'm going back and forth on is the rear sight. I understand that the rifles were altered with the Benton screw sight, and I've seen the spec sheet requiring that sight. The problem I'm running into is multiple sources, including a post from an SAC member stating that the Benton sights were removed and replaced with a block sight pre civil war. Both versions of the rifle exist still. Personally, if the block sight was more common during the war I'd prefer to use one of those. I was hoping someone here might have more information.

Thank you,
Scott

Curt
03-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Hallo!

I think you may have sent me a Facebook PM, but for reasons I cannot explain it has totally vanished and I cannot find it anywhere. :( Sorry.

As reference I use the M1841 'cheat sheet' quickie reference pages on the various M1841 Rifle versions and alterations. And the George Moller series of books, particularly:

American Military Shoulder Arms, Volume III: Flintlock Alterations and Muzzleloading Percussion Shoulder Arms, 1840-1865

Unfortunately, I cannot check for you as I am in the middle of a house remodeling, and all of my book cases are randomly boxed and in storage likely for several more months.

Sorry.

Curt

SyLibby
03-27-2016, 12:03 PM
Hi Curt,

Thanks for the reply, that was me on Facebook. I loose messages on there all the time. I think one of my pards has the Moller book, I'll take a look. I'm not opposed to using the Benton site as I understand that is what the NSSA spec sheet requires, I was hoping that if the correct block site could be documented I could present it to the SAC when I build my Snell alteration. Thank you for the help.

Scott Sheets

MarkTK36thIL
03-27-2016, 10:57 PM
I'll pull out Moller's in a second. They made the spec sheets decades before so they sorta line up, but don't either. You're going to want to talk to John Holland amd be in touch with him about the project. Measure twice, cut once type of stuff. I've got his email somewhere, and he's pretty active on fb.

John Holland
03-28-2016, 08:34 AM
SyLibby - if I understand you correctly, all you want is a Mississippi Rifle which has been altered to accept the Snell bayonet, and then retrofit with the original block rear sight. That will not be a problem with the SAC, go ahead and build it! When you submit it to the SAC for an Individual Approval just bring your documentation with you.

I would like to take a moment to clarify a question we receive occasionally regarding the N-SSA Small Arms Individual Card: This SAC card is a privilege of membership and is only issued to N-SSA members in good standing.

SyLibby
03-28-2016, 09:31 PM
Thank you Mr. Holland. That is essentially what I am looking to do. I'll be sure to have all of my documentation lined up. A group of us are getting ready apply for a unit and just want to make sure our various project rifles will meet spec.