PDA

View Full Version : What is this product called "Kroil"...

William H. Shuey
10-07-2009, 05:03 PM
that I have seen mentioned, and where can you get some?? Also, has anyone found a source for "RIG" as I understand it is still being made?

Bill Shuey
whshuey@verizon.net

pastore
10-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Kroil is a penetrating oil. Some hardware stores or auto parts stores have it. I ordered mine from the manufacturer. I think the name is Kano laboratories. They have a website. I am not sure rig is still made.

Jim_Burgess_2078V
10-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Kroil is an excellent penetrating oil and you can sometimes find it in well stocked gun shops, through Midway and other mail-order places catering to shooters and gunsmiths.

RIG had been discontinued but earlier this year I saw an announcement in the American Rifleman that Birchwood Casey was going to add it to their line of gun care products. Haven't seen any new cans of it hitting the market yet. Hope it happens soon because my supply is getting low. Good stuff to keep my toys from rusting over the winter.
Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Greg Ogdan, 11444
10-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Kroil is used by, perish the thought, modern benchrest and long range competitors as a very effective carbon solvent that does not attack metal. It will, though, mess up a stock finish fairly quickly. As said above it is a great penetrating oil; much better then Liquid Wrench.

Joe Burchette, 2440V
10-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Kanolabs.com 800-3113374

Joe Plakis, 9575V
10-08-2009, 10:07 AM
I use the stuff quite regularly, the only issue is that it is the oil that creeps. It does a great job busting up hard carbon and occasional rust. The problem is that it can soak into the treads of the breech-plug and cause a cook-off, because it is flammable. :shock:

RaiderANV
10-08-2009, 12:40 PM
GREAT stuff for working with rusted bolts and parts.

Bad stuff for cook-off's, destroying finish on your wood.

BALISTOL and all yer trouble are gone :wink:

Dominic Infante, 8359V
10-08-2009, 09:41 PM
S & S Firearms has Kroil in 8 oz. cans for $8.oo on page 58 of their 2009 catalog. It goes a long way; I bought a can at Nationals several years ago and have not yet finished it. Their website is www.ssfirearms.com (http://www.ssfirearms.com).

Oregon Bill
10-09-2009, 01:08 AM
I am counting on it to help unfreeze the nipple in my Euroarms Zouave, although I would sure love to have a decent wrench to help it do its job.

RaiderANV
10-09-2009, 04:31 PM
I am counting on it to help unfreeze the nipple in my Euroarms Zouave, although I would sure love to have a decent wrench to help it do its job.

Bill,
Use an impact wrench with a quality 1/4" dive socket on backwards. The 1/4" drive fits the nipple perfectly. One wack with your hammer and it'll break loose.