PDA

View Full Version : Meteor powder

medic302
03-17-2016, 11:20 PM
hello all, I recently ran across a guy selling 25lbs of 1F meteor powder. he says he used to skirmish a lot and used meteor with great success. is any one here familiar with meteor? I've heard of it but since it hasn't been made for 30+ years i've never shot it, and don't know anyone who has.

Kevin Tinny
03-18-2016, 05:44 AM
Hello:
METEOR was a version of Curtis & Harvey out of Scotland. It was brought into the U. S. In 1972,3,4,5 after the Dupont plant blew. It was graded differently. Fg in cans was "shotun & musket". It was inferior to DuPont because it was less uniform and contained more dust particles, but otherwise OK, if that was all one had. No one at Friendship liked it, but the supply kept Shoots running, til Dupont was restored.

Regards,
Kevin Tinny.

medic302
03-18-2016, 10:16 AM
Kevin, sounds like it's not worth much then. The seller also has an original P53 with a bill large barrel for sale with the meteor, but if he has 40 year old powder it makes me wonder when the last time the musket was fired and how it was stored. I think i'll pass on the offer.

Mike McDaniel
03-18-2016, 12:12 PM
I'd look the gun over. The powder I would not buy for my own use, but it might be a good buy as trade fodder. If nothing else, you can sell it to reenactors.

Lou Lou Lou
03-18-2016, 01:27 PM
Powder should be ok for re-enacting, remember it cost less than $75 back then. Don't offer $15 a lb

John Holland
03-18-2016, 01:54 PM
Mike McDaniel is right, check out the musket, it might just be worth the whole deal. Don't worry about hypothetical scenarios, make your own evaluation.

medic302
04-08-2016, 08:32 PM
sorry for the late reply guys, i've been on vacation and away from the internet.. blissfully. I might just give the fellow another call and see about getting some pictures. might just give away the powder if i choose to buy the musket.