PDA

View Full Version : Gonna try a lube experiment

jonk
03-17-2016, 12:34 AM
In having done some experiments myself, and having talked to a lot of guys, I'm thinking of running a test: ignoring how soft fouling stays with various lubes (though that is of interest too), how does lube impact accuracy?

Sometime in the next few weeks, I'm going to take my musket out and shoot some tests. 10 each, SPG, mobil 1 synthetic oil/beeswax, neatsfoot oil/soap/wax, crisco/wax, from a bench. Heck, I might even try straight crisco in the base and naked grooves; that would give me 50 rounds. I'll take pictures; I might even write up an article for the Skirmish Line on my findings.

My goal here is twofold; first, to see if any homemade lube will work as well as SPG does for me. Second, to illustrate, especially for new(ish) shooters how important it is to find a good lube for YOUR gun, and perhaps also to older shooters, to get them to try something else that might work better.

Question: Is there any other common lube I should try?

Muley Gil
03-17-2016, 05:32 AM
Don't ferget MCM lube. Lots of us skirmishers use it with great results, including me.

Lou Lou Lou
03-17-2016, 06:49 AM
Tried and true Len's Lube. Been using it for 35 years

ms3635v
03-17-2016, 07:00 AM
Lens Lube was one of the first lubes I used when I started skirmishing. Then I succumbed to the temptation to try others. I used SPG, pretty good, Beeswax and Crisco, pretty good and for the past seven years I have been using MCM. I really like the MCM because it keeps the fouling soft. Whatever you use, it has to produce the results that you are seeking.

MR. GADGET
03-17-2016, 08:57 AM
Try Balitstol and Bees wax.

Maillemaker
03-17-2016, 09:35 AM
I think this is a great idea and I'd love to see some in-depth research here and the results.

I don't think it will be meaningful to take your best group shooting Lube X and then shoot it with Lube Y and make a comparison. It may be that each lube requires a different load to achieve optimal accuracy.

So what you will need is a complete load workup for each type of lube, and then determine which one was able to produce the best group.

My personal suspicion is that lube is probably the least important part of the accuracy equation, particularly in our sport where we shoot generally reduced loads and it is uncommon to shoot more than 15 or so rounds before having the opportunity to clean the barrel.

In my neophyte experience, ignoring the shooter I think the primary accuracy drivers are, in order of importance:

A quality barrel.
Consistent powder charges.
Consistent bullet weights.

As I said in another thread, I suspect if have the above conditions met you can probably tweak the charge to give good accuracy even if you lube your bullets with dog poo. You just have to find the right work-up.

I also suspect that powder choice may have a greater influence on fouling than lube choice. When I started experimenting with the Moose Wilkinson (the 580-450) I was using up the batch of Shuetzen powder I had been forced to buy when my usual vendor was out of Goex. In spite of trying the high-recommended SPG lube, I was unable to load more than about 4 rounds before the barrel became too crunchy to load more shots. Switching to Goex powder allowed me to shoot the same load pretty much indefinitely.

This is one of the things that I find most enjoyable about this sport - there is an almost never-ending series of combinations of load workups to try in search of that magical combination that produces hole-in-hole accuracy. And given how infrequently I am able to get to the range and how long it takes me to try a single load workup there's almost never an end to the quest!

I look forward to your experiments!

Steve

John Holland
03-17-2016, 09:51 AM
Jonk - When you try just plain Crisco I would encourage you to also put it on the grooves of the bullet, too.

Jim_Burgess_2078V
03-17-2016, 01:05 PM
It is important to understand that some lubes may work better at certain temperature and humidity levels. For instance I suspect pure Crisco may offer optimum performance in cold weather. I usually vary the ratio of beeswax and shortening in my lube at different times of the year. My summer mix becomes too hard and would likely have an adverse effect on accuracy if used in cold weather. There are so many variables that must be considered and it would be difficult to make any objective conclusions with just one test. Finding the one lube that works well under all conditions with all powders and all bullets will be like finding the Holy Grail. Good luck in your quest!

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

jek279
03-17-2016, 09:23 PM
You all need to try mink oil paste. It stays soft in the cold, and doesn't liquify in the hot. I would contend it is the best all around lube. Mink oil can be softer if you are looking for below freezing shooting, but mink paste will hold up better in the hot times. Mink oil is also good because it is one of the few natural animal oils that does not go rancid.

jonk
03-18-2016, 01:28 AM
I think that what we will have here then, is round one and round 2. Round one will be what I have on hand or can make with what is on hand (I can do the mink oil paste and ballistol/wax with what's on hand I think).

Round 2 will be when I'm at nationals and can buy some of the other lubes- MCM and so on.

I agree, in principle, that each lube might have a sweet spot. My usual load with SPG might need more or less powder to perform with another lube. However, while I'm not saying I wouldn't conduct that experiment, it would be a 50 round per LUBE experiment, quickly committing myself to firing hundreds of rounds. I don't have the time for that... now. Perhaps that would be a long term part 3; every time I go to the range, take a test batch with each lube that works it up and down the powder scale.

I also agree temp is important for some lubes. I know that in hot weather, crisco will just melt.

henrymstr
03-18-2016, 07:55 PM
Omg......r we gonna need more "LUBE" tee shirts

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk