PDA

View Full Version : Euroarms Musketoon percussion cone/Nipple Crisis

ChapK
03-13-2016, 10:37 PM
I have now reached a crisis point with this nipple situation on my Musketoon. I have tried every way possible to remove the percussion nipple from this new Musketoon. It's just not happening with the tools I have at the house. If I can't find a specific wrench which is made for two-sided percussion nipple, I will have to take it to a gunsmith. I have attached a picture so you can see the specific shape of this nipple.Thanks for any help you can provide. I have found a four sided nipples which should work with this carbine; from either track of the wolf or S&S firearms. Before I can get a new nipple; this old one will have to be removed. Thanks for any help you can provide with this issue.

ChapK
03-13-2016, 11:05 PM
I have now reached a crisis point with this nipple situation on my Musketoon. I have tried every way possible to remove the percussion nipple from this new Musketoon. It's just not happening with the tools I have at the house. If I can't find a specific wrench which is made for two-sided percussion nipple, I will have to take it to a gunsmith. I have attached a picture so you can see the specific shape of this nipple.Thanks for any help you can provide. I have found a four sided nipples which should work with this carbine; from either track of the wolf or S&S firearms. Before I can get a new nipple; this old one will have to be removed. Thanks for any help you can provide with this issue.
here is a picture, had problems loading file

Muley Gil
03-14-2016, 05:31 AM
Order your new nipple and get another wrench as well. Call and explain the problem. Penetrating oil (Kroil) and sometimes a little heat are your friends. Don't panic and don't give up. :)

Fred Jr
03-14-2016, 09:53 AM
There are wrenches that fit over the nipple that are made like the one pictured. No idea who makes them or where to get one. I have one but it is back in PA and I'm not! i use a little never seize on the nipple when I replace it. Makes it a bit easier to remove. I'll see if I can find some one who carries this type of wrench. Didn't take long. The Possible Shop has what you are looking for!

jonk
03-14-2016, 12:23 PM
I accidentally got a couple of this style when ordering from track of the wolf. It wasn't a big deal to take them on and off using a plain old wrench from the toolbox. But, then mine wasn't seized up.

If you can't get it off and have a wrench for the regular nipples already, just sacrifice it and clamp some vise grips on. A new nipple is cheaper than a wrench for a one-off use, and you probably need to replace it anyhow.

MarkTK36thIL
03-14-2016, 12:52 PM
I have heard of gunsmiths boiling water, and submerging the cone for several minutes in the boil. Then using a wrench to good effect. It worked for me last spring.

dennis g
03-14-2016, 04:23 PM
Have you tried a good quality open-end wrench that fits. Despite having multiple nipple wrenches, I still usually use a Craftsman 1/4 wrench.

Rob FreemanWBR
03-14-2016, 08:41 PM
Krill oil, liquid wrench penetrating oil? May need to apply so high heat??

Hope your successful in getting the cone off.

As a side, do you wrap the cone's threads with plumbers Teflon tape before reinserting? I use about an inch or so of this tape on all my muskets/smoothies nipples and it make removing them a snap for cleaning.