PDA

View Full Version : MCM, SPG and Lens Lube

MikeArthur
06-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Interested in what you skirmishers think goes into these lubes.

Any ideas on compounds and %?

petroleum products, beeswax?

Thanks

Mike Arthur, Hart's Battery, CSA

843 412-1992

8)

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
06-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Beeswax, shortening, and/or vegetable/olive oil. I'm not saying that is exactly what the commercial stuff is just that these item scan produce a great B/P lube in the right proportions.

The wise Lefty once told me, "If you can't eat it, it doesn't belong on a minnie ball! I have been following his advice with great success for many years and cranking up lube that also serves well on a Triscut.

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery

Greg Ogdan, 11444
06-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Who cares?! MCM and Len's work better than SPG, end of story. Life is good.

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
06-10-2008, 01:47 PM
I like SPG, have used it for at least the lasr 15 years in my musket and carbine.

But for the smoothie, peanut oil, and beeswax, ratio according to the temparture, dip it three times on a hard lead ball, then fire and fall back !!!!

Phil

macvcallsign
06-10-2008, 07:24 PM
I would guess they are all combinations of what most of us think in is!? And they are probably all some secret formula so no one will duplicate it and stop buying it. :lol: :lol:

I have only used SPG of the three mentioned and only for my Henry since I put the bullets thru a Lubri-sizer. All my other loads I just hand dip after sizing with a combination of Crisco, Beeswax, and Alox. Approximately 50/25/25%, but varies depending on the weather. A little stiffer in the summer(more beeswax) than in the early spring and late fall when it is usually cooler.

Have never had a problem with it. Keeps the residue soft, no caking. Easy to clean. Never had a premi(sic) either in 35 yrs.

This is one of those topics that can generate 10 pages with all the different ideas, formulas, and combinations of things that we each think is the best. I have run into shooters that will use totally different lubes for each gun and even for different yardages! That's really splitting hairs. :roll: :)

Ciao,

Dennis
4th Kentucky Cavalry, CSA

Fred Jr
06-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Len's lube for years and years in musket, carbine and revolver. SPG in Henry and alox in smoothie. Never saw any reason to change!

Fred

12th PA

Jerry Ward
06-11-2008, 08:42 AM
MCM appears to be composed of:

Beeswax, Mutton tallow and Jedi bile (for tight groups)

I tried to make lube once. 1 lb of beeswax and crisco yields an unlimited supply of flux. Just easier to buy the stuff..

snapcap14
06-11-2008, 12:26 PM
started w/ crissco, now my own mix for musket, carbine, pistol,
I use thompson lube for the henry.
tried the others never seen any advantage to them.

Southron Sr.
03-04-2013, 12:17 PM
From the late 1960's to the mid-1980's I used Crisco in my lube formula and usually experienced one or two "Cook-Offs" per year. They would occur on hot, humid days after the barrel of my musket got hot.

I quit using Crisco in my lube formula in the mid-1980's and have NOT HAVE HAD A "COOK-OFF" SINCE.

So, I cringe when I read about anyone using Crisco in their lube formula but I know that there are many Skirmishers who have been using Crisco in their lube formula for years with no problems.

Lou Lou Lou
03-04-2013, 04:15 PM
I swear by len's lube. Only question is the bottom of the temperature range for it.At freezing temps, it doesn't perform ( for me)

ms3635v
03-04-2013, 06:32 PM
I have been using SPG for the last ten years in both musket and carbine and it works just fine. Never have had a problem.

jd2ndvainf
03-04-2013, 07:31 PM
SPG on Musket & carbine . Alox on smoothbore.

Jim Barber
03-04-2013, 09:00 PM
I gleaned an interesting bit about beeswax the other day from my brother, who worked at Deer Creek Honey Farm for many years: almost universally, darker-colored beeswax has a higher melting point than lighter colored stuff. More specifically, southern/tropical/south American beeswax is darker and much more heat-resistant than midwest/northern US, Canadian, etc. There are apparently rare exceptions to the color rule, but if you don't know the origin of the beeswax, color is the typical differentiator. Darker wax does not signify impurity or anything, just that the bees are building heat-tolerant combs. And heat-tolerant lube, too.

And with that, you might just have learned the last odd tangent there is to know on this bulletin board.

Cheers!
Jim B.
110th OVI
Grove City, OH