PDA

View Full Version : advice needed

kowdok
03-09-2016, 11:11 AM
I think I remember seeing an answer to this question a long time ago, but since I didn't need the info then, I forgot the answer. My wife and I both shoot 36 cal. Maynards. Her gun has a slighter smaller chamber than mine so nearly every skirmish, 4 or 5 cases will expand enough that I can't use them in her gun. I have been marking them so that I can use them in my gun. Problem is that I'm now running out of brass that will fit her chamber. I need a sizing die for 36 cal. Maynard brass. The brass that fits her chamber measures .403 and the expanded brass measures .405. I have a Lyman lubrisizer press and a single stage RCBS modern reloading press. Any help is greatly appreciated.

jonk
03-09-2016, 12:55 PM
Well, you have two options. Either a setup that you push the brass into with a mallet and then tap out (like the old Lee Loader kits) or otherwise use an arbor press, or a die that fits into the press itself, probably requiring a custom shellholder. If you have a modern reloading press I assume you are familiar with the idea of sizing brass in general.

I'm told Charlie Hahn has made some of these, but really anyone set up with a lathe should be able to make you either style.

Northeast Trader does make shellholders, and I know they make a 'bullet seating' die that may also resize the case, you could contact them.

Don Branch 12592
03-09-2016, 06:55 PM
Why don't you have her chamber opened by .002 and save yourself the headache...

bobanderson
03-10-2016, 05:40 AM
Why don't you have her chamber opened by .002 and save yourself the headache...

I'll bet my last shekel that John Bly could do that for you.