PDA

View Full Version : 2nd model Maynard rear sight adjustment.

dfbowers
03-07-2016, 08:41 AM
Howdy folks.
I picked up a 2nd model maynard at an antique store a while ago in great condition for a fair price.
Shoots excellent but a tad to the left. Anyway, I noticed that the rear sight is dove tailed but has what appears to be a set screw or something under the leaf sights. I thought about drifting it but don't want to beat on an otherwise perfect gun. Any experience out there with moving rear sights?
Thanks..
Don.

Eggman
03-07-2016, 09:19 AM
Move the front sight.

John Holland
03-07-2016, 09:39 AM
And, when you move the front sight......move it in the opposite direction you want the bullet to go!

dfbowers
03-07-2016, 09:42 AM
Move the front sight.
Hmm.. nice thing about forums.. there is always someone smarter than me. : /
Wasn't sure if it was brazed on there or not.. tough to tell sometimes with 150+ year old guns. It does look dove tailed now that you mention it!
Don..

RaiderANV
03-07-2016, 05:00 PM
Both front and rear are dovetailed and can be drifted. The only reason people drift both is to get a tad further to the left away from the hammer. I like it in factory position close to the hammer as it acts like horse blinders to any distractions to the right at least. Get them where you want them then stake it down again.

dfbowers
03-07-2016, 11:07 PM
Both front and rear are dovetailed and can be drifted. The only reason people drift both is to get a tad further to the left away from the hammer. I like it in factory position close to the hammer as it acts like horse blinders to any distractions to the right at least. Get them where you want them then stake it down again.
Hey Pat.
I may end up drifting both. Is there a set screw in the rear sight?
Don.

John Bly
03-08-2016, 08:02 AM
No, there is not a set screw in the rear sight. It will drift left and right if you wish. After many years of being in place it may be difficult to move at first.

RaiderANV
03-09-2016, 12:05 AM
Use something with a large surface area so you don't deny the site base. I use a 3/8" brass punch but anything will do. Using something like a screw driver may leave a good indentation where you sack it. They are tight and some way tighter then others but all will move.

dfbowers
03-10-2016, 02:58 PM
Use something with a large surface area so you don't deny the site base. I use a 3/8" brass punch but anything will do. Using something like a screw driver may leave a good indentation where you sack it. They are tight and some way tighter then others but all will move.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, It's proving to be a tough one!

John Holland
03-10-2016, 04:00 PM
Penetrating oil, mild heat, repeat daily over the course of a week or so.....be gentle with the drift, and let patience be the byword!