PDA

View Full Version : Enfield Musketoon in Civil War combat?

ChapK
03-06-2016, 12:53 PM
I recentlypurchased an Enfield Musketoon. I am curious about their usage in combat in the Civil War. I understand that they were used most often by Calvary units; especially Conferate Calvary. Also, they were used by artillery units. I would appreciate any specific information that cites their usage in actual combat. Thanks for any info and/or links to information.

Curt
03-07-2016, 03:30 PM
Hallo!

In brief...

It can be tricky, as Confederate records can run pretty lose in referring to the Artillery Carbines and the Cavalry Carbines as just "carbines." And typically they do not get "serious" with nomenclature such as say Pattern 1853 Artillery Carbine. Second Model of 1858, or Pattern 1861 Cavalry Carbine, or Pattern 1861 Artillery Carbine.

Confederates purchased numbers (roughly 8,100) of them. A number of cavalry officers preferred the captured ramrod cavalry version to the lose ramrod of the artillery carbine. CS records are sprinkled with references. For example, on October 7, 1862 JEB Stuart asked to exchange rifles for artillery carbines then in the hands of infantry. But later after a review by Lee in June of 1863 a number of officers complained that the "carbines were so ineffective as to be demoralizing."

The "Payne Papers" do a decent job with this. For example between July 1863 and December 1864 showed 8,100 were imported through Wilmington, NC with cargo manifests indicating 3,020 cavalry carbines and 1,620 artillery carbines. (Of those, 3.520 were shipped to Richmond. Quick number play indicate that Lee had roughly 9,500 cavalry men for Gettysburg, with between 2200 and 2700 carbines being shipped to Columbia maki8ng about half going to the Army of Northern Virginia and h alf to the Army of Tennessee.

W hile back, a lad on the Authentic Campaigner site posted a number of equipment reports for a number of CS cav units that IIRC had some listings (without me looking them up at the moment).

Curt

Maillemaker
03-07-2016, 04:48 PM
number of officers complained that the "carbines were so ineffective as to be demoralizing."

Yeah we heard that from our officer at the last skirmish. :p

Steve

ChapK
03-07-2016, 09:58 PM
Thanks for any information you can provide.

Mike Stein
03-14-2016, 12:43 AM
US Navy used all three, '53, '58 and '61. John D. McAuley's book Civil War Small Arms of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps can break it down by ship. Depending on the ship and time, they were used for landing shore party, picket duty or both.

Don Dixon
03-14-2016, 09:54 AM
During the winter of 1863-4, the 50th New York Engineers was partially outfitted with Enfield artillery carbines with saber bayonets, in addition to its Muster 1854 System Lorenz rifles. The 50th participated in the OVerland Campaign and the Siege of Petersburg. During the overland Campign the 50th and the 15th New York Engineers built the pontoon bridge over the James River -- the longest military pontoon bridge built in history -- that permited Lieutenant General Grant to outflank Bobby Lee.

Regards,
Don Dixon
2881V