PDA

View Full Version : Relining an M1842 Pistol?

Earl Burlin
03-04-2016, 11:20 PM
Hello everyone! I am the proud (very proud) new owner of an M1842 Aston Johnson martial pistol:

http://s18.postimg.org/5676rcrbt/20160302_171910.jpg

Right now, the gun is headed to Lodgewood Mfg. for some minor stock and lock repair. When I get it back, it will be in prime shooting shape... except the bore. The bore on this gun is quite rusted, and there is deep pitting throughout. As is, it measured .555", on the large side for a .54 caliber pistol.

I am thinking about getting the bore on this pistol relined by someone good at it such as Robert Hoyt. I would like to get it relined to .540" caliber, that way it can share components with my Pedersoli made M1805 Harpers Ferry percussion conversion smoothbore pistol. I am looking for any inputs on this, whether or not you think it's a good idea, and any recommendations on were to send it to have this done. Lodgewood does not reline bores.

I plan to use this in the smoothbore pistol matches, and for range use as well. Thanks so much for the help everyone!

V/r

Earl Burlin

John Holland
03-04-2016, 11:30 PM
Mr. R.A. Hoyt has been relining these pistols for some 2 years. I would recommend his services.

Earl Burlin
03-05-2016, 02:39 AM
Thank you, I've heard nothing but good news about him. Does anyone know if the correct bore diameter for an M1842 pistol is in fact .540"? If not, I may have Mr. Hoyt reline the bore to match what the guns originally would have had.

efritz
03-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Earl,
Give some thought to a mould before you reline. To my knowledge Lyman only makes a .535 RB mould. Tanner makes them in any size you want. I'm guessing they were supposed to be .540 originally. What they actually came out as I don't know. I also guess you may have it relined anywhere from .530 to .550. If the bore is left as is and is bigger because of wear it is legal but as soon as you begin the alter process you must stay within one caliber. That rules applies to single shot. I'm assuming it can be done on SB pistol. John Holland please chime in anytime.

Earl Burlin
03-08-2016, 12:41 AM
Thanks, but I don't cast. I would like to be able to share ammunition with my Pedersoli Harper Ferry smoothbore pistol.