PDA

View Full Version : Thumb cocking Remingtons & Colts

Naphtali
02-23-2016, 04:03 AM
I have a question, but I'm not sure how to ask so anyone else will recognize what I'm asking about.

So here goes. I have very small hands. When I grasp my 1858 Remington, thumb cocking is more difficult for me than thumb cocking my Freedom Arms Model 97 or my Uberti Colt SAA clone in 45 Colt. For me the Remington's grip is farther from its hammer spur than both of the others.

Does anyone else with small hands notice this? If what think is happening is, in fact, accurate, any suggestions on how to adjust my Remington to bring its thumb cocking to the ease of the others?

kowdok
02-23-2016, 06:42 AM
Is there a reason that you can't or don't want to cock it with your opposite hand???

Eggman
02-23-2016, 08:51 AM
I thought people from Montana fanned their guns!!??!!

John Holland
02-23-2016, 09:27 AM
Kowdok is correct in his suggestion. We have many shooters who use their opposite hand to cock their revolvers for the next shot. That way they stay closer to being on target for the next shot to be fired and they do not change their grip position either. All very important considerations in our rapid fire timed matches where you can win or lose by a split second!

Fred Jr
02-23-2016, 10:54 AM
Agree with you John. I've always cocked the hammer with my left(opposite) hand. Never want to change the position of my trigger hand if at all possible.

William H. Shuey
02-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Aaahhh, this brings back memories, I can still hear my Sergeant in basic: "Shuey, you got the hands of a goil!" He was from "Joisey". :-)
I can't shoot a Remington worth a damn, .44 Colts either.
I had to qualify with the .45 Model 1911 in the real Army and that was a hassle.
I shoot a .36 Navy Colt and I use the opposite hand to cock it. I even won a medal at Ft. Ross with it once!

Bill Shuey