PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli 1861 Springfield Ramrod

WitcherNighthawk
02-18-2016, 04:26 PM
Gents,
I just bought a secondhand M1861 by Pedersoli. Upon inspection of the rifle, I noticed the ramrod had been broken and welded back together below the swell. Above the swell, the tulip end unscrews from the rod (two piece ramrod I guess?). I want to replace it with a better one. Does anyone know of a one piece replacement ramrod that will fit Pedersoli '61s and has a threaded end? Dixie Gun Works has one they say should fit, but is not threaded. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Justin Connor

ms3635v
02-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Lodgewood sells them.

CAGerringer
02-19-2016, 09:20 PM
Justin,
When you get a new one, will you sell the old one?
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

John Bly
02-20-2016, 08:57 AM
I doubt that anyone has a true one piece repro 1861 ramrod. The cost to produce it would make it prohibitively expensive unless it was made in a third world country. Any one who says they sell one may not know what they have, it's probably welded or screwed together someplace. Some are better than others. Some are simply pressed together with perhaps a little loctite. These come apart fairly easily. I've made lots of ramrods but never an 1861 version so I can be of no help. Remember the sutlers buy from whomever makes the lowest priced goods. Buyer beware.

Lou Lou Lou
02-20-2016, 10:42 AM
FWIW worth, Ray (Ellsworth) Rapine took up blacksmithing and a few years ago he showed me a one piece rod that he made.

Jim Wimbish, 10395
02-20-2016, 01:05 PM
Were the original 1861 ramrods one piece? I have several original rods and I don't see where they were put together.

John Bly
02-20-2016, 08:20 PM
Yes Jim, the originals were forged in one piece as all ramrods were at that time. It's possible they were forge welded together as forge welding was how steel was joined at the time. If an original would fit the Pedersoli it would be his best bet.