PDA

View Full Version : Ballard carbine barrel band?

MIKE KOCH
02-08-2016, 09:31 AM
Looking for a barrel band for a ballard carbine & no lodgewood & s&s doesn't
have one,thanks to all who could help !!
Mike mdcavmike@aol.com 410-960-1704

Kevin Tinny
02-08-2016, 02:30 PM
Hello:

Larry Romano just called me about an order, so I asked about Ballard rifle bands. He agrees that if Lodgewood and S&S cannot supply them, you may only find one by more or less coincidence.

He HAS an original three-band rifle and can MAKE you bands if that helps.

Best to call and leave a msg or email him at the .msn address.

Regards,

Kevin Tinny

John Bly
02-08-2016, 03:27 PM
I have a few blanks for the Kentucky Ballard and the carbine with the part octagon and part round barrel that have been waterjet cut from plate. They fit the barrel and forend but are not contoured or shaped yet in any way. They have the swivel lug. If you can do some work to shape it up I could sell you one of those for $15 plus shipping. If you don't have any tools or think you can do it then leave it alone. It's a future project of mine that just has not gotten priority.

MIKE KOCH
02-08-2016, 04:58 PM
HELLO JOHN

JUST TALKED TO MY GUN GUY THE BARREL IS ROUND END TO END,MY GUY SAYES IF THAT BAND OF YOURS WILL FIT IT HE COULD SHAPE IT ??
SEND ME YOUR PHONE # I'LL CALL YOU.
THANKS AGAIN=
MIKE 410-960-1704 MDCAVMIKE@AOL.COMJohn Bly;52626]I have a few blanks for the Kentucky Ballard and the carbine with the part octagon and part round barrel that have been waterjet cut from plate. They fit the barrel and forend but are not contoured or shaped yet in any way. They have the swivel lug. If you can do some work to shape it up I could sell you one of those for $15 plus shipping. If you don't have any tools or think you can do it then leave it alone. It's a future project of mine that just has not gotten priority.[/QUOTE]

Bruce Cobb 1723V
02-08-2016, 07:19 PM
Just a couple of questions Mike. Is your carbine a 56-56 caliber? Thats the only one approved with a all round carbine barrel. You do have a three faceted reciever, right? All Kentucky carbines are all half round / half hex barrels. I'm just concerned about your build.

John Bly
02-08-2016, 08:23 PM
What is the barrel diameter where the band fits? If you can get that for me I'll tell you if my band might work.

Hey Bruce, the barrels are octagon, not hex, 8 sides versus 6 sides. I've never seen a hex barrel but I've seen a few that I thought were hexed.

Carolina Reb
02-08-2016, 10:31 PM
If it is a 56-56 carbine, my rifle has the same bands as Spencer and Sharps rifles. The Ballard carbine had a swivel, like the New Model Spencers, but a Spencer or Sharps band may work.

Also if it's a 56-56, check your bore diameter. The few I have measured have all been 54 caliber and want about 0.558" bullets.