PDA

View Full Version : Franklin Mint Revolver Question

B P Shooter
01-20-2016, 08:10 PM
I have a replica 1851 Colt Navy Revolver in a shadow box that was given to me several years ago. It is nickel plated and I was told by the lady that gave it to me that The Franklin Mint put these out in the late 70's or early 80's. It has never been fired and appears to be fully functional. My question: Is this a wall hanger or would it be a good shooter for someone that likes this model revolver? ( I'm an R&S guy myself.) And what is it worth?

Muley Gil
01-21-2016, 05:27 AM
IIRC, some of these commemoratives were based on brass frame revolvers. If you are going to do a lot of shooting, a steel frame is better, though I have a Navy Arms M60 .44 with the round barrel and the brass frame that I shot quite a bit when I was younger.

Check it with a magnet.

John Holland
01-21-2016, 01:11 PM
I thought Franklin Mint had said all commemorative revolvers were designed so as to not be able to be made to shoot? This way they were absolved of any potential liability issues.

Jim Wimbish, 10395
01-21-2016, 04:16 PM
I checked several for sale on the Internet and none of them are shootable. They are all non-firing replicas and priced accordingly.