PDA

View Full Version : First shot keyhole...bill large 55 springfield barrell..

MikeArthur
09-27-2009, 07:28 PM
after 1st shot, great accuracy

use new style minie sized to 577 (578 will just fit before 1st shot))

44 grains 3f... different lubes have not helped

also noticed nipple suction is weak until after 1st shot

have tried 1st shot sized to 578 with 2 more grains of powder...didn't help

thoughts, other than shooting wife to foul gun

mike arthur

hart's battery, csa

843 412-1992

RaiderANV
09-28-2009, 01:02 AM
Errrrr,,,,,,leave it dirty from individuals?

I bet it has a fake MAYNARD primer system. :shock:

You don't have :arrow: starr parked next to it in the safe do ya?

Green

Charlie Hahn
09-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Hi Mike,

A little more information if you please.

I assume this is an 8 + 8 lands and grooves with the lands narrower than the grooves?

How sharp are the edges?

How many rounds fired?

Do you use a ramrod with a bulge?

As these barrels wear they tend to get some uneven wear at the mussel. A bulged ramrod, or worse a brass ramrod speeds this up. From your natural loading position in the area near your body you might see the lands worn. On a clean barrel this allows an uneven gas leak that tips the bullet on exit. It might be time for a reduction in barrel length if this condition is present to fresh up the mussel.

I would guess that if you did a three shot test say three times from a clean gun each time you should see first shot bad, second better and third predictable. Our friend the fouling helps to equal out the escaping gases, but you should still see general grouping drifting a little if the mussel is worn even after your fouling shots.

If you would like I could take a look at my booth, Ball Accuracy at the Fort.

Charlie Hahn

MikeArthur
09-28-2009, 08:02 PM
mike

David Altman, 10980
10-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Ram the first ball hard with the rod. I mean hard 2 or 3 times. It will spread the skirt and seal the round to the barrel.

MikeArthur
10-09-2009, 11:35 AM
mike

CMHouchins
10-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Anyone have any idea of what kind of twist the LArge barrels have (8groove/8 land)? What is your rpefereance of minie/mould? Thanks, Craig

John Holland
10-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Twist - 1x48.

JDH

CMHouchins
10-09-2009, 03:14 PM

macvcallsign
10-09-2009, 05:20 PM
I have been shooting Bill Large barrels for most of my 38 yrs skirmishing. Have over a dozen guns with them on and they all shoot great. Bill told me when I got my 1st bbl to shoot it dirty..I just run a couple of spit patches down it after individuals and between relays. Just remember to clean it good after the skirmish to make sure the patent breech is clean. Have never had a problem keyholing. Maybe the barrel needs a new Crown job? Bill usually made his barrels a little longer(1/4") to allow for wear and can be crowned with out a problem.
His rifle bbls were usually 1 in 48 twist and the musket barrels were 1 in 60 twist. Although, he would make just about anything that a customer wanted.

Try a lighter bullet and powder charge also. Most of my Large guns shoot best with a semi-wadcutter and about 34 to 38 grs of 3f. Bill usually made to size Skirmish barrels, .575 and .577. The .575 he called his target barrel and that is the one he made for me for my 1st one, a '53 pattern Enfield. I shot it with a .575 thick skirted Lyman 575494 and 30 grs of 3f! Performed flawlessly except when my hangover got in the way!!
:lol:

Good luck and I am sure you will solve the problem.

Dennis Schuler (Brad's Dad)
4th Kentucky Cavalry, CSA
1561V

Paul Lampman 263V
10-09-2009, 05:29 PM
During the years I shot my Zouave with a Bill Large barrel with the RCBS 580 sized .577, I could shoot it all day without a patch thru it. Never had a keyhole as long as I ran the bullets thru the sizer to check for size. If you don't size em you would be surprised as to how much your bullets will vary due to lead temperature change when and how much lead you add to the pot, how long you take a break, etc.

Jim Mulligan 7288V
10-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Were Jerry Harmon barrels rifled by Bill Large? I have one marked both Harmon, Large and one marked J.L. Harmon.
Hangover? Never seen you drink.....

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
10-09-2009, 08:45 PM
I believe they were rifled by Large then breeched by Harmon.

Philo

Bron Wolff, 1492V
10-09-2009, 09:30 PM
that would be correct I have a Harmon/Large and a Large on my '64 Bill did the rifling on the Harmon/Large barrels

macvcallsign
10-09-2009, 10:01 PM
That is correct Bron, Bill did the Rifling, and than sold the blanks to Jerry and he did breeches and finished the barrels. Jerry is one of Bills son in laws. Bill had 4 daughters.

Dennis Schuler (Brad's Dad)
4th Kentucky Cavalry, CSA
1561V

DAVE FRANCE
10-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Mike,

I think the best thing to do is find a good gun smith familiar with removing the breach plug. Someone who can do it without damaging the gun. A N-SSA member who does gun smithing would be the best bet. Then have him take off the breach plug and see if something is plugging the nipple passage or if there is some damage to the rifling near the breach.

Some skirmishers have bought breachloading carbines with the nipple passage drilled incorrectly resulting in a restriction somewhere. And they were repaired.

Mike Newhouse or one of the other machinists or tool makers in the 1st Michigan would be good starting point.

I'll call you.

David