PDA

View Full Version : anyone doing restoration work?

matt
06-08-2008, 04:25 PM
i was presented today with a question that is really outside my realm. i was approached about possibly restoring a 1918 dated 4.7 inch model 1906 field gun. the metal is all rusted as it sits on the grounds of a little league. that is not really the major problem as most of the steel looks to be still pretty sound. the right wheel though is falling apart. the wood has rotted away where the spokes go into the bottom or the wheel and some of the upper spokes are totally gone. they little league is afraid that the gun is going to collapse on that side. who out there can do some wheel wright work and possibly fix or make a new wheel? i personally have no interest in the little league but the cannon was there when i played there so my interest is seeing if it can be preserved for other kids to enjoy and at the same a piece of history is saved. if anyone wants more info about the gun and see pics you can e-mail me at cwartyman@mac.com. i hope some of the artillery gurus can at least point me in the right direction.
matt
winslow's battery 9975

cannonmn
06-08-2008, 04:41 PM
There are a lot of Amish wheelwrights in OH and PA in particular, who will consider custom work like that. They are usually cheaper than the folks who build CW cannon carriages. Whitmer Wheelworks near Lancaster PA is one that does all kinds of wheels if they are still around. I think bids for such a large wheel will start at around $1000. but that's just a guess, and it would last about 10 years outside if some care was taken to keep preservative on the wood.

I've seen very heavy WWI pieces equipped with all-steel display wheels that don't look half-bad from a distance. The spokes are fashioned from approx. 2" square steel tubing. The construction is all steel weldment. I can't recall if the tubes are welded to the original hub (I think they are) then at the outer edge, plate steel, say 1/4 in. thick by 4" wide, is bent to form a large tire. I'm guessing such a wheel could be fabricated for about $500. and would last forever as long as it was kept painted.

matt
06-08-2008, 06:18 PM
the wheels are original to the carriage and have lasted since 1918. they are wooden spoked to an inner wood circle and then has a rubber tire. any contact info for the amish guys?
contact me if youd like to see pics
matt
winslow's battery 9975

matt
06-08-2008, 06:20 PM
and thanks for the reply, i knew if anybody had info id be able to fin it among the skirmishers.
thanks again
matt
winslow's battery 9975

cannonmn
06-08-2008, 07:46 PM
from the web:

Witmer Coach Shop
1070 West Main St.

New Holland, PA 17557

717-656-3411

This is a New Order Amish horse-drawn vehicle supply business but their phone sales folks are pretty knowledgeable. Not necessarily about antique cars but they can obtain good automobile top bows at about half the price of other suppliers. Call or email Doug Thamert before ordering since he has dealt with them for many years.