PDA

View Full Version : Everybody needs at least one Sharps carbine

OregonBill
01-01-2016, 06:39 PM
Guys, I am taking a 90-degree turn in my historical focus, and need to find a good home for this new, unfired Pedersoli Model 1859 Sharps percussion carbine, caliber .54. It comes with the original box and paperwork and without a scratch on it. The wood is nice, too. I will also include the Sharps Christmas Tree ringtail 544-480 mold from Moose Moulds. It's a nice mold that casts a lovely bullet. Asking $1,000 and shipping for the carbine and the mold. Thanks for looking.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/BillOregon/IMG_2612_zpsl0lre3qi.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/BillOregon/media/IMG_2612_zpsl0lre3qi.jpg.html)
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/BillOregon/IMG_2613_zpsqbgpzeqf.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/BillOregon/media/IMG_2613_zpsqbgpzeqf.jpg.html)

OregonBill
01-02-2016, 08:30 AM
The Sharps is on hold.

Eggman
01-02-2016, 11:30 AM
Well during the many years I've wandered the firing line I can't begin to count the number of poor skrmishers I've consoled after I found them standing forlorn, weeping and gnashing their teeth, over a frozen Sharps breachblock -- while their teammates meanwhile attempted to clear the pigeon board without them. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I agree everyone needs one. Getting rid of it later is like having an impacted wisdom tooth removed. The feeling of relief once it's gone is subline.

iron brigade
01-02-2016, 11:44 AM
Never a problem with my Shiloh. keep it greased up and runs a set of relays no problem. not to mention the fact that it will drive nails. :D

IB

RaiderANV
01-02-2016, 11:44 AM
I dunno Eggs......... they look okay hanging on the wall. Won't hold 'maters up worth ah damn.
Now starrs.....they can hold 'maters year after year. We know starrs look funny on the wall anyways.

Sounds like Bill has gotten ah lil religion going on......maybe one of GOD's own Maynards is in his future!!

Eggman
01-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Yeah on the Maynard thing PJ - last skirmish I went three for seventeen on the pigeon board, then ran sixteen straight. What the ____ is going on?????????

RaiderANV
01-02-2016, 12:41 PM
Nut'n......jus the Big Guy teaching you a small lesson in concentration. I missed 9 shots on the pigeon board once when a normally first place team picked me up walking and bounced someone off their A-team to stick me there. They had fired 6-7 shots each. I concentrated ah lil harder and went 13 for 13 the rest of the shoot and we took first place. I ended with two more then my share yet some still weren't happy.

I blamed it on sitting my Maynard to close to my mint starr (ONLY owned for the collection!) for to long between shoots.Was really me not holding and concentrating.

The above is ONLY intended to explain why you miss with a Maynard on occasion. All the other carbines suck so could be a million reasons there! 😆😆😆

Eggman
01-02-2016, 01:55 PM
not to mention the fact that it will drive nails. :D

IB

I have to admit I never did attempt to drive nails with my Sharps. My neighbor did use his to drive in fence posts however.

jonk
01-02-2016, 02:11 PM
I don't know. Some McMaster Carr extreme pressure grease and mine will run all day smooth as butter. I DO have a chrome plated breech plate.

Been shooting my smith simply because it's easier to load the ammo for and I have a similar hit time.

Most of the issues with the sharps come from two sources. Poorly fitting parts (thanks Italy) or people who haven't done their homework as to what needs to be done to the gun to keep it running smoothly.

Potential buyers, don't let the naysayers scare you away! 'Tis a fine weapon!

Eggman
01-02-2016, 04:08 PM
I don't say "nay." I belong to those who say "Neep!"

RaiderANV
01-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Potential buyers, don't let the naysayers scare you away! 'Tis a fine weapon!

Never said they weren't a fine gun/shooter. They like most others can be made to shoot way better then the shooter. And this is a really good deal/price on this fine Sharps. Pick it up off Bill and drop it in Charlie Hahn's hands and it'll hit exactly where its aimed.
Admittingly that can be a problem. 