PDA

View Full Version : RCBS .520 Adjustable Weight Minie Bullet

ead
12-28-2015, 12:20 PM
Gents,:confused:

Have any of you tried this bullet in the Maynard?
I like the bullet shape as compared to an original and if it could be adjusted down to 350 gr. or so I'd like to try it myself.
However I can't find any info on how it adjusts.
I've heard it can make flat bottom and hollow backed bullets, I can't confirm this either.
I read somewhere that original bullets were 343 grains so I'd like to get as close to this as possible.
Any info or guidance would be sincerely appreciated.

ms3635v
12-28-2015, 03:52 PM
The base plug moves up and down by a threaded pin. See photo.

ead
12-28-2015, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=ms3635v;51869]The base plug moves up and down by a threaded pin. See p

Thanks Mike,
I can see clearly now how it works.
What do you personally think of using this bullet, with the flat base in the Maynard if I shorten it to about 350 grains?

bobanderson
12-29-2015, 07:44 AM
That's what I used in my Model 1 for the past couple of years before I switched to the Lyman. Grease grooves could have been bigger and I got tired of sizing from the .520+ down to .517 and wanted to try something closer to bore size.

Capable of medal winning accuracy.

ms3635v
12-29-2015, 08:35 AM
EAD,

I tried it in both my original Smith and my 2nd Model Maynard. I was not thrilled with the results in either carbine, and Bob is correct about the grease grooves. For years, I used a Rapine mould, but switched to a Moose mould about three years ago.

ead
12-29-2015, 12:26 PM
That's what I used in my Model 1 for the past couple of years before I switched to the Lyman. Grease grooves could have been bigger and I got tired of sizing from the .520+ down to .517 and wanted to try something closer to bore size.

Capable of medal winning accuracy.
Thanks Bob for the info!
Which Lyman mould do you use?:D

ead
12-29-2015, 12:31 PM
EAD,

I tried it in both my original Smith and my 2nd Model Maynard. I was not thrilled with the results in either carbine, and Bob is correct about the grease grooves. For years, I used a Rapine mould, but switched to a Moose mould about three years ago.
Mike, If you don't mind my asking, Do you use the Moose Maynard or the Moose Smith Maynard and what weight?:D

ms3635v
12-29-2015, 02:18 PM
EAD,

I am using the Moose Smith/Maynard bullet (400 grains, .520" sized to .518" for both Maynard and Smith) in both my Smith and Maynard. The Rapine bullet I used for years weighed 395 grains (sized from .520" to .518"). After doing load development for both carbines, I found that 35 grains of 3F worked best in the Maynard and 28 grains of 3F gave me the best results for the Smith. I would say, however, that you should experiment and find the load that you find works the best for you. There are many shooters who have loads that work best for them, and that would include bullets ranging in diameter from .515" through .518" and different weights.

ead
12-29-2015, 03:30 PM
Mike,

Great info!
Much appreciated!:D

bobanderson
12-30-2015, 07:44 AM
Thanks Bob for the info!
Which Lyman mould do you use?:D

The 515 with the flat base, either 515139 or 515141. One has a bevel base that works in the Smith. The flat base fits my full capacity brass. This past fall I bought the 6 cavity Lee .518 mould from Lodgewood. Going to try pure lead vs. the hard alloy I use normally.

Teaser alert here - I'm also considering selling the Maynard. Stay tuned.

ead
01-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Bob,:D
Have you tried out the Lodgewood bullet at the bench?
If so what do you think of it?

Tom Magno, 9269V
01-06-2016, 12:09 PM
I was one of a group that did original testing of the Hodgdon adjustable carbine bullet in the late 1990's for the late Tony Bagdon, and I still have the mould. I found that it would work extremely well in hollow base configuration and 250-300 grain weight in an original Smith with max charge in reduced cases, which turned out to be about 33 grains of 3Fg. From the bench they would practically all go into the same hole at 50 yards (I know, you read and hear that a lot, but in this case it was true - I shot 10 rounds into one ragged hole from the bench, and it was repeatable). But - and it is a big but (groan)... I could not get it to shoot well enough in a Navy Arms Smith, or an original Maynard in any configuration or weight from 250-400 grains. It will shoot adequately for skirmish targets at 50 yards in most any configuration in all the guns I tried it in, but was very wind susceptible at lighter weights and would not stay within the 6" bull from a bench at 100 yards. Except for the original Smith/HB configuration, it would not group well enough or consistently for individual (paper) competition. I think that one original Smith was an anomaly because I have acquired another original Smith since that time, and it won't shoot well in that one - so who knows why it shot well in one gun, and in none of the others. All my testing was done with pure lead, and all rounds were weighed so that all bullets were within plus or minus .5 grains and sized .001 over groove dia. in each gun (that was Tony's requirement for all of the tests). I went back to the 518145 bullet and never looked back.

ead
01-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Great info Tom,:D
Thanks for taking the time.

ead
01-08-2016, 01:37 AM
I was one of a group that did original testing of the Hodgdon adjustable carbine bullet in the late 1990's for the late Tony Bagdon, and I still have the mould. I found that it would work extremely well in hollow base configuration and 250-300 grain weight in an original Smith with max charge in reduced cases, which turned out to be about 33 grains of 3Fg. From the bench they would practically all go into the same hole at 50 yards (I know, you read and hear that a lot, but in this case it was true - I shot 10 rounds into one ragged hole from the bench, and it was repeatable). But - and it is a big but (groan)... I could not get it to shoot well enough in a Navy Arms Smith, or an original Maynard in any configuration or weight from 250-400 grains. It will shoot adequately for skirmish targets at 50 yards in most any configuration in all the guns I tried it in, but was very wind susceptible at lighter weights and would not stay within the 6" bull from a bench at 100 yards. Except for the original Smith/HB configuration, it would not group well enough or consistently for individual (paper) competition. I think that one original Smith was an anomaly because I have acquired another original Smith since that time, and it won't shoot well in that one - so who knows why it shot well in one gun, and in none of the others. All my testing was done with pure lead, and all rounds were weighed so that all bullets were within plus or minus .5 grains and sized .001 over groove dia. in each gun (that was Tony's requirement for all of the tests). I went back to the 518145 bullet and never looked back.

Tom,:confused:
I searched far and wide on the net and couldn't find a Lyman 518145 for sale.
I guess it must be discontinued.

ms3635v
01-08-2016, 08:27 AM
EAD,

The .518", six cavity mould is made by Lee. Lodgewood usually has them on the shelf down at the Nationals. You could buy from them through the mail.

John Bly
01-08-2016, 08:28 AM
The Lyman 518145 is the .518" diameter version of the 515139 mold. They have not been made for quite a while but can be found occasionally. John Gaskil had several of them at nationals last spring. He may have sold them all.

John Holland
01-08-2016, 09:32 AM
I would bet that Moose Moulds will make whatever you need.

Tom Magno, 9269V
01-08-2016, 10:31 AM
Yep, the 518145 is an obsolete Lyman mould that casts a 360 grain flat-nosed bullet with a very slight bevel base. I found mine on a shelf of used bits at a local gun shop in Tidewater back in 1996 for a song. There were actually two of them, and I bought both, sold one to a teammate. The Lee 6-cavity moulds (Lodgewood has them) are basically the same bullet.

bobanderson
01-08-2016, 11:16 AM
Bob,:D
Have you tried out the Lodgewood bullet at the bench?
If so what do you think of it?

Loaded a bunch for our Black Powder Through the Ages match tomorrow. Took 3 shots offhand with my Smith in the back yard. Not going to brag, but it shot where I was looking and left the barrel in great shape, aka clean, no leading.

I'll try to let you know after our match tomorrow.

ead
01-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Many thanks to Tom, John, Bob & Mike !!!!!!:)
I'll just buy the Lee mould and be done with it.

bobanderson
01-09-2016, 04:24 PM
Loaded a bunch for our Black Powder Through the Ages match tomorrow. Took 3 shots offhand with my Smith in the back yard. Not going to brag, but it shot where I was looking and left the barrel in great shape, aka clean, no leading.

I'll try to let you know after our match tomorrow.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, my review of the Lee 6 gang mould under skirmish conditions will be postponed, mostly due to the fact that my rear sight moved and I was all over the place.

PS - I think you'll be happy with it. My only suggestion is to buy the right mould for the lead you shoot. I like harder lead in my breechloaders, but I bought the .518 mould making the bullets oversize. (They came out about .520) To correct this, I cast from pure lead and they were just right for my Hoyt lined Smith carbine. If you prefer hard lead, I'd say buy the .515.

PPS - If you do, and you don't like it, let me know and I'll swap with you.

ms3635v
01-11-2016, 07:59 AM
I also shoot soft lead in both my Smith and Maynard and the bullets come out of the mould at the correct diameter and +/- 1 grain in weight.

ead
01-21-2016, 12:19 AM
I also shoot soft lead in both my Smith and Maynard and the bullets come out of the mould at the correct diameter and +/- 1 grain in weight.

Thanks Mike, That's good to know.

ead
01-21-2016, 12:47 AM
Due to circumstances beyond my control, my review of the Lee 6 gang mould under skirmish conditions will be postponed, mostly due to the fact that my rear sight moved and I was all over the place.

PS - I think you'll be happy with it. My only suggestion is to buy the right mould for the lead you shoot. I like harder lead in my breechloaders, but I bought the .518 mould making the bullets oversize. (They came out about .520) To correct this, I cast from pure lead and they were just right for my Hoyt lined Smith carbine. If you prefer hard lead, I'd say buy the .515.

PPS - If you do, and you don't like it, let me know and I'll swap with you.
Bob,
Thanks for the info and the offer to swap.
I'll let you know what happens.

John Gaskill 3037V
01-22-2016, 05:23 PM
Gents,:confused:

Have any of you tried this bullet in the Maynard?
I like the bullet shape as compared to an original and if it could be adjusted down to 350 gr. or so I'd like to try it myself.
However I can't find any info on how it adjusts.
I've heard it can make flat bottom and hollow backed bullets, I can't confirm this either.
I read somewhere that original bullets were 343 grains so I'd like to get as close to this as possible.
Any info or guidance would be sincerely appreciated.

I have had excellent performance with this bullet in my wife"s Maynard. It is an original with a John Bly barrel. We use a reduced capacity brass casing and 28 gr FFF powder.

jonk
01-23-2016, 12:50 AM
Shoots well in my smith but since the lee 6 banger shoots as well, I go for that.

ead
01-25-2016, 12:20 PM
I have had excellent performance with this bullet in my wife"s Maynard. It is an original with a John Bly barrel. We use a reduced capacity brass casing and 28 gr FFF powder.

Thanks John,
I'm still really tempted to try this bullet even though not everyone likes it.:confused:

ead
01-25-2016, 12:23 PM
Shoots well in my smith but since the lee 6 banger shoots as well, I go for that.

Thanks Jonk,

Looks like I'm going to have to get stuck with having to get two moulds, both the Lee and the Hogdon:confused: