PDA

View Full Version : Maximun sizing

ead
12-19-2015, 10:08 PM
Hey guys,

What's the most you can size down a pure lead Whitworth or Maynard bullet without bending the handle on your press.
Can you get away with seven thousandths? more or less?

jonk
12-19-2015, 11:16 PM
It isn't really a question of what gun the bullet goes to, but the design of the bullet. I don't personally take any of my skirmish bullets down more than 4/1000 but for a bullet with deep lube grooves, i don't see 7/1000 as an issue. I would, however, want to take that in steps, by first lubing it in a die that is at or slightly over groove size, then going down another 3/1000 or so, then finishing up. By lubing the grooves first, you prevent distortion and/or obliteration of them. By going in stages you prevent the bullet entering the die at an angle, and again, obliterating grooves.

That said, it's a lot of hassle, and I'd encourage you just to buy a mold closer to your needs than go through all those steps.

ead
12-20-2015, 07:49 PM
Jonk,

The reason I was asking is that many of the moulds I'm looking at that might work for the Whitworth are .457 and I'll need to size down to .451 and it seems most Maynard moulds run around .518 and as far as I can tell I'll need to size down to .510. That's alot of sizing!:confused:

george7542
12-20-2015, 08:40 PM
you may want to talk to moose molds or Tennessee bullet molds to see if they can get you molds that are closer to the size you need. you should be able to find links to there web pages in the sutler links on main page

jonk
12-20-2015, 08:43 PM
I can't comment about the Whitworth, as I don't own one and have never shot one; but I do know the set up and as a muzzle loader, that makes sense.

Maybe a stupid question, but for the Maynard, that .510 is your groove diameter? I've seen land diameters around that on such guns but that would be really tight grooves...

The most I've gone down is sizing a .548 Sharps ringtail bullet down to .541. Not a problem. But, it has deep lube grooves.

Self centering push through dies for a press are your friend here; lube sizer dies could cause issue. Which are you using?

ead
12-20-2015, 09:32 PM
you may want to talk to moose molds or Tennessee bullet molds to see if they can get you molds that are closer to the size you need. you should be able to find links to there web pages in the sutler links on main page
George,
That's good advice and gives me another approach, I'll try it, Thanks!

ead
12-20-2015, 09:34 PM
I can't comment about the Whitworth, as I don't own one and have never shot one; but I do know the set up and as a muzzle loader, that makes sense.

Maybe a stupid question, but for the Maynard, that .510 is your groove diameter? I've seen land diameters around that on such guns but that would be really tight grooves...

The most I've gone down is sizing a .548 Sharps ringtail bullet down to .541. Not a problem. But, it has deep lube grooves.

Self centering push through dies for a press are your friend here; lube sizer dies could cause issue. Which are you using?

Jonk,

The only ones I've used so far are lube sizer, but I guess I'll try whatever works.
I've tapped a .54 ball through the Maynard bore and I get .510 with my dial caliper and the Gents on this forum say it's not the best way because of the way the rifling is arranged, and I know they're right, but I don't know any other way to do it.
I don't know if it's safe to use a bullet that's more than 3 thousandths over bore diameter.

jonk
12-20-2015, 09:56 PM
There is a mathematical formula for calculating groove diameter for barrels with odd numbers of rifling grooves... I have misplaced it but if you do a search for slugging and enfield bore, you should find it, as the old british SMLE is much the same design, albeit smaller bore.

ms3635v
12-21-2015, 08:06 AM
.510" for the Maynard seems too small. Most people I know who shoot Maynards shoot between .515" and .518". I shoot a .518" (sized down from .520") in my original 2nd Model Maynard and achieve excellent results.

ead
12-21-2015, 03:14 PM
There is a mathematical formula for calculating groove diameter for barrels with odd numbers of rifling grooves... I have misplaced it but if you do a search for slugging and enfield bore, you should find it, as the old british SMLE is much the same design, albeit smaller bore.

Thanks Jonk, I'll try to hunt this info down.:)

ead
12-21-2015, 03:17 PM
.510" for the Maynard seems too small. Most people I know who shoot Maynards shoot between .515" and .518". I shoot a .518" (sized down from .520") in my original 2nd Model Maynard and achieve excellent results.

Mike,

The case mouths on my unfired Maynard brass also measures .510.
Sounds like I should try the .515 if it'll fit in the case.

ms3635v
12-21-2015, 05:10 PM
EAD,

I just measured some of my fired full capacity cases and the inside diameters average .519" and I measured some of the never fired cases and the inside diameters average .512". All of the cases I have came from the Regimental Quartermaster in the mid 80's (I bought 300 of them and at the time they were .65 cents a piece). I have only lost about a dozen after all of these years due to splits. I use my thumb to load the bullet into the cases.

ead
12-22-2015, 01:12 AM
EAD,

I just measured some of my fired full capacity cases and the inside diameters average .519" and I measured some of the never fired cases and the inside diameters average .512". All of the cases I have came from the Regimental Quartermaster in the mid 80's (I bought 300 of them and at the time they were .65 cents a piece). I have only lost about a dozen after all of these years due to splits. I use my thumb to load the bullet into the cases.

Mike,

You can actually push your .518 bullet into the .512 case with your thumb?

ms3635v
12-22-2015, 08:29 AM
EAD check your PM's.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
12-24-2015, 06:20 PM
Presses shouldn't ever break. If you buy a cheap aluminum press you will eventually break a handle or something else. Buy something good like the old Bonanza models. If you break a handle they have a lifetime guarantee. You get what you pay for.

ead
12-25-2015, 03:44 AM
Presses shouldn't ever break. If you buy a cheap aluminum press you will eventually break a handle or something else. Buy something good like the old Bonanza models. If you break a handle they have a lifetime guarantee. You get what you pay for.

Bruce,

I have a 4 ft. long breaker bar made 0f 1 1/4 inch iron pipe,
Do you think the handle on the old Bonanza model press will stand up to that?:confused:

Bruce Cobb 1723V
12-28-2015, 12:09 PM
I've seen 45 turned into 38's

ead
12-28-2015, 12:42 PM
I've seen 45 turned into 38's

I've always wanted to try that!;)
Thanks for the inspiration!