PDA

View Full Version : Not legally a firearm

Kenneth L. Walters
09-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Why is the Smith replica not considered to be legally a firearm? An original would qualify as an antique because it was made before 1899 but on what grounds are the replicas exempt?

P.Altland
09-26-2009, 01:24 PM
I believe a replica Smith carbine is still considered an antique firearm under NFA because it has a percussion ignition system.

Section 2.2 Antique firearm. Firearms defined by the NFA as “antique firearms” are not subject to
any controls under the NFA.22 The NFA defines antique firearms based on their date of manufacture
and the type of ignition system used to fire a projectile. Any firearm manufactured in or before 1898
that is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed
ammunition is an antique firearm. Additionally, any firearm using a matchlock, flintlock, percussion
cap or similar type ignition system, irrespective of the actual date of manufacture of the firearm, is also
an antique firearm.

Kenneth L. Walters
09-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks!

bilge water bob
09-27-2009, 05:49 AM
Although, once you weaponize your BP/antique gun, all the rules change again. Atleast up here in the people's Republik.

Lou Lou Lou
09-27-2009, 07:52 AM
The Gun Control Act of 1968 held that originals (antiques) and reproductions of pre 1898 firearms were exempt. Also the arms do not use fixed ammunition that is available over the counter.

Rich Siegel 8846
09-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Remember though, modern replicas of pre-1898 firearms that fire available fixed ammunition are considered firearms under the gun control act. Example, the Henry and maybe the Spencer. Unless a sale is between residents of the same state, in that state, you must go through an FFL dealer with background check.

Rich

RaiderANV
09-28-2009, 01:14 AM
ATTENTION EVERYONE :!: :!: :!:

I'd like ya'll ta join me in welcoming Ken back to the N-SSA board. He's been ah-way in rehab dealing with his past starr carbine love affair. He has since converted to a smyth. Now I know it's not a MAYNARD but it is a step towards the light.

Ken,,,,would you like to stand up and say a few words to the support group :?:

Kenneth L. Walters
09-28-2009, 09:11 AM
The gun I'm having trouble with is, in fact, a Maynard. Starr's don't have problems!

RaiderANV
09-29-2009, 12:33 AM
I had set my Maynard that I shoot in competition in my safe one winter. Got it out the next Spring and it wouldn't shoot fer chit. Had all sort-ah problems with it. I went home, cleaned it up and was gonna put it way back in one of my safes and build me ah new one.
When I opened my safe I saw the problem right away. The Maynard had been layin' up against ah dang starr( well,,,,ya can't leave em in the garden or they'll rust away by Spring) and I guess the Maynard took it personally :roll:
So I started put'n the mater stakes I mean starrs out in the tool shed. Ain't near'e had me ah problem since :!:
Hey,,,,ya didn't sit that Maynard next to one of yer starrs didya :idea:

What ya be meanin' spellin' Ken? I can't help it this dang puter ain't got ah "Southron" spell check built into it. :?

Kenneth L. Walters
09-29-2009, 01:46 AM
Pat, Pat, Pat! Your logic is as bad as your spelling!