PDA

View Full Version : need help loading my Maynard carbine cartridges.

Throckmorton
12-07-2015, 08:49 PM
I inherited a Maynard .50 cal. carbine from my late brother. We shot it years ago and i'd like to shoot it again ,kind of in his honor.

I have some new full-capacity cases from Lodgewood,and I have real bp as well as Pyro on hand.

Dixie show a .517 dia. 264 cast slug for it,is this a good option,and are there others ?
Do the carbines take musket caps,or ??

If you could give me the charge weights and kind of powder I need, I'd sure appreciate it.

Mike in Oregon

RaiderANV
12-07-2015, 11:58 PM
21-24 grains of 3F in the reduced cases.
30-36 grains of 3F in the full capacity cases.
Dip lube to cover the rings.

You want a bullet sized to .515 or .516 and you'd be much better off buying cast bullets from someone on here instead of Dixie.

Throckmorton
12-08-2015, 01:33 AM
thanks for the info,I'll see if I can find a seller here on the forums,or somewhere besides Dixie.
btw,why notDGW,too exensive,or ??

thanks again.
mike

Throckmorton
12-08-2015, 02:10 AM
The brass cases I bought.(still brand new ) have an ID of about .510-.512. Will I need a tool to seat bullets in them,or maybe a tool to expand the mouth a tad?

..I thought when we shot this last,my brother seated them by hand,is that because they had already been used.?

I see a ridge down inside the brass,is this a 'stop' for the bullet to rest against?

thanks !
Mike

ms3635v
12-08-2015, 06:41 AM
I shoot the full capacity cases in my 2nd Model Maynard with a .518" bullet that weighs 400 grains. I use 35 grains of GOEX 3F. With this charge the bullet touches the powder charge. I start the bullet in the case after it's charged then seat it the rest of the way by pushing it down with my thumb. I dip the bullet in the lube then run it through a sizer. My cases too, have the ring and when the bullet is seated it comes close to the spot where that ring is. The Maynards are very accurate and there are many different bullet and powder charges in use and they all work very well.

John Bly
12-08-2015, 08:32 AM
A lot of skirmishers shoot the Lyman 515139 or 518145 bullet with from 20 to 30 grains of black powder. Some shoot Rapine bullets but his molds are not made any longer. Moose makes several Maynard bullet molds. Lots of shooters use the reduced capacity cases as they don't need a filler with them. Cream of wheat or grits make a good filler. FFFg is a popular choice of powder. Good luck in your shooting endeavors.