PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a rifled barrel

B-Davis
11-29-2015, 09:13 PM
To All:
I have a custom flint lock that I picked up a few months ago. I have finally gotten the rifle to shoot a 515 grain mini with 56 grains of 3f. I would love to post pics of the target. But my files size is too big.
Here Is the issue, the rifle is approx 12.5 pounds. The barrel is 40 inches long. If I bench the rifle, it makes 1 Inch groups. Off hand, the group opens up significantly, it is just a weight issue with the barrel. Now, the question is, can I have the barrel cut back about 10 inches with out losing accuracy? Also, is it better to have it cut from the back at the breech or the front? I do not plan on doing this myself, I would have some one do it for me. What suggestions and ideas are out there? Should this even be attempted? I would have to cut the fore end down, I am comfortable doing that part and refitting the front nose cap. I just do not want to ruin the accuracy of the barrel. BTW the rate of twist Ius 1/64.

Bryan

John Holland
11-29-2015, 11:40 PM
Do not cut the barrel back, it is a classic American type Long Rifle. Instead, do more upper body exercises until the rifle feels like a B-B Gun in your hands! Remember, the American frontiersmen who used these historic arms worked from sun-up to sun-down, they were powerful men......and women! Don't "wimp out", bulk up instead!

Mike McDaniel
11-30-2015, 10:22 AM
Still, 12.5 lbs seems awfully heavy. The longrifles were normally in the 8-9 lb range, IIRC. Any chance of photos?

Maillemaker
11-30-2015, 10:43 AM
I would love to post pics of the target. But my files size is too big.

I recommend www.imgur.com to everyone. You can post any size of picture and then just share the URL everywhere. You don't even have to create an account to use it. Takes literally seconds to upload a picture.

Steve

gemmer
11-30-2015, 01:56 PM
Assuming it's a fullstock, cutting the barrel back will cause you some headaches. The spacing between the barrel pins or wedges will not be correct and you'll have to re-inlet the nose cap which will result in finish touch up. Matching the stain color and top coat finish can open up a real can of worms. At 12.5 lbs., could this rifle have been intended as a bench gun?

Duane

tackdriver
11-30-2015, 04:56 PM
I sure wouldn't cut it. These barrels are this length for a reason. YOu want to be sure most of the powder is burned before the bullet leaves the barrel. Plus, the rifling twists are designed for that barrel length. And whoever does it will have to repair the crown after cutting. 12lbs? Seems pretty heavy. Is it something like a 92 caliber?
I heard the Kentucky Aluminum long rifle is pretty light....

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
11-30-2015, 04:57 PM
What Mr. Holland said. Also, if you're not used to shooting flint, you probably lack a proper follow through. Shooting flint is a lot like shooting a bow; no follow through, no accuracy.

Greg

B-Davis
11-30-2015, 05:50 PM
http://m.imgur.com/a/ZDtFJ

i believe this will get you to the pics.

it may be a combination of not being used to the flinter itself combined with weight. IT may just be frustration with making one/two inc groups on the bench and making 7 inch groups off-hand!j

BTW- it is a .58 cal rifle.

Maillemaker
11-30-2015, 07:49 PM
B-davis:

You don't have to create an account to use imgur, and you certainly don't have to publish your name and password for your imgur account to the world! :)

Steve

gemmer
11-30-2015, 08:01 PM
Your rifle has features from different "schools" and time periods. I neglected to note that the ramrod thimble spacing will also be off unless you move them and plug the original pin holes. The same goes for
the barrel pins. What is the caliber of this rifle? Is it a small bore that might lend to the heavy weight?

Duane

B-Davis
11-30-2015, 08:05 PM
Your rifle has features from different "schools" and time periods. I neglected to note that the ramrod thimble spacing will also be off unless you move them and plug the original pin holes. The same goes for
the barrel pins. What is the caliber of this rifle? Is it a small bore that might lend to the heavy weight?

Duane

It is 58 cal. It appears to be a Lehigh County style stock with a Bucks County style patch box.

Upon consideration, I think cutting not the option to go.

ms3635v
12-01-2015, 09:42 AM
Bryan, that's really nice flinter. I would not cut it down. It's to pretty to change.

Mike McDaniel
12-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Still... .58 caliber? That's incredibly large for this sort of rifle, and probably the source of the problems. Most longrifles were in the .40-.54 range.

B-Davis
12-01-2015, 12:25 PM
After speaking to several people, I have decided that cutting the barrel is not an option. As to the rifle being heavy, yes, it is heavy compared to what I am used to shooting. But, I mainly want the rifle just for deer hunting. With that being said, when the rifle is benched, it uses only 56 grn of 3F and a "chicken bullet". It shoots REALLY WELL with this combo. I have only shot it to 50 yds, but for deer hunting in PA, that should be enough. Putting all this into consideration, I would be sitting or against a tree when I would be hunting, and so, I would have support to shoot the rifle. Even with that being said, the rifle still shoots a good enough pattern when shot off-hand.

Bryan

B-Davis
12-06-2015, 02:53 PM
So, I was out deer hunting yesterday. I had the opportunity to get a doe at about 60 yds. Now the shot was downhill, and the weather was nice. I took the rifle and tried for the shot, I missed. Wether it is me and my strength it a mind-block with the rifle, I do not know. I went to the range afterward, and it drove tacks again. I went to a gun show this morning, and found what I want. I really want to find a Navy Arms/Zoli Harper's Ferry 1803 with the .58 cal bore. If you may have one and would consider a trade, I will gladly do so. I would consider a cash price if in the ball park. Any leads or offers will be considered. Thanks for looking!

with Warmest Regards,
Bryan

B P Shooter
12-06-2015, 08:32 PM
Try exercising with a broom handle weight.

Take two or three lead ingots and screw a screw-eye into the end of each. Attach them to the center of a 12 inch piece of an old broom handle with a string strong enough to hold the weight. Bailing twine sized works good. The string should be long enough to almost touch the "weights" to the floor when the broom handle is held at shoulder height.

To use the weight for exercises, start by winding the string around the center of the broom handle until the weights are tight to the handle.

Hold the handle straight out in front of you with one hand on each side of the string. With your arms fully extended, using your wrists, turn the handle to unwind the string until it is all the way out and then wind it back up. Do this as many times as you can. (and then do it once more) It does not matter which way you turn the handle to wind or unwind the string.

The object is to hold your arms straight out, do not cheat and let the broom handle slip turning in your hands, and do not let the weight touch the floor.

Do this two to three times a day for about a month and you WILL notice your offhand groups tighten up.

Don Branch 12592
12-06-2015, 10:06 PM
Pm sent on trade.