PDA

View Full Version : Maynard help

Dan Mastin
11-23-2015, 02:58 PM
I have an original 2nd model Maynard in excellent condition that I would like to shoot but there is a problem. Any brass case I've tried will not chamber unless I push extra hard and then has to be removed by knocking it out from the muzzle. When I put a case - loaded or unloaded - into the chamber it starts getting tight about half way in. I thought it might be the old cases I had, so I bought some new ones but have the same problem. The plastic tubes chamber easily and I can remove them easily. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Dan Mastin

Lou Lou Lou
11-23-2015, 03:55 PM
The chamber may need to be reamed/polished a tad. I am sure there are folks here who could help you

Kevin Tinny
11-23-2015, 05:31 PM
Best to contact Mr Bly on this Forum. Don't start amateur gunsmithing yourself. Plastic cases can lead to some other issues, so discuss brass cases with him.
Regards,
Kevin Tinny

RaiderANV
11-23-2015, 06:27 PM
I'd venture to guess I've checked nearly two thousand Maynards over thirty plus years and have never found an original with this problem. No one can advise you without gun in hand to examine.

John Bly
11-23-2015, 08:54 PM
I agree with Pat on this. An Internet diagnosis is not the way to solve this. Original Maynard chambers were very consistent in size. It could be rust or some other crud built up in the chamber. Give the chamber a good cleaning with a bore brush and see if it helps. If you can't chamber a new unfired unloaded case there is definitely something wrong.

RaiderANV
11-24-2015, 04:31 PM
BEST thing to do is mail off both barrels to John so he can take appropriate measures to fix/restore them correctly before a piece of history gets Bubba'd up and God puts ah-nudder blackmark next to someone's name!