PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Smith with a garden hose.

threepdr
09-23-2009, 10:58 AM
I had to share this no matter how silly it sounds. I found that the male end of a garden hose quick disconnect is a perfect fit for the chamber of a Smith Carbine. The rubber "O" ring makes a perfect seal.

After removing the barrel assembly, I pluged the male fitting in the chamber and turned the water on full blast. No water leaked at the breach end but I got a satisfiying stream blasting from the muzzle. I let it run for a full minute. After that, I ran two patches through it and the second one came out clean. Dried the bore and oiled and all done. No water on the outside except a few drips at the muzzle.

Now, if I can find a simple way to clean the other half of the carbine....

Blair
09-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Mark,

Just do what reenacters do. T they either shower with the other half or finish the job up with coffee.
Ok, so coffee is a bit acidic. But what the hay, if you wash it off with a little water everything should be okay... providing none of that slightly acidic coffee got into the lock/receiver area or between the barrel and forearm, and that you only dismount the barrel once a year to clean under there too.
Sorry, nothing is new in reguards to cleaning a BP firearm. And just in case your wondering, there is actually only one end result... A Clean Firearm!
Blair J Taylor