PDA

View Full Version : Mav Dutchman and Henry

Michael Bodner
11-06-2015, 07:15 AM
For those that cast with the 44-40 Mav Dutchman mold in their Henry:

Did you have to slug the barrel to determine what sizer to use or is everyone using the same size???

Got a new member and I don't want to advise about getting the wrong sizer....

If time allows (before he rushes off) I'll slug it, but I figure I'd ask first!!

Thanks

P.Altland
11-06-2015, 07:26 AM
I think you'll find most of the Uberti Henry rifles bored .429 to take advantage of a bigger selection of bullets as apposed to the original .427. I use the Mav Dutchman sized to .430 in mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Bodner
11-06-2015, 08:19 AM
Thanks Paul. I keep hearing '.429' but I wasn't sure if that was bore size or sizer size...

I'd like to hear from more 44-40 shooters...

Thx

efritz
11-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Check out whyteleatherworks.com. 250 rounds sized either 427 or 429 and prelubed w/SPG vacuum sealed package for $30.00 + S&H. Hard to make them for yourself at that price. Oh, and I have no interest in his business aside from being a customer.

MR. GADGET
11-06-2015, 09:07 AM
Check out whyteleatherworks.com. 250 rounds sized either 427 or 429 and prelubed w/SPG vacuum sealed package for $30.00 + S&H. Hard to make them for yourself at that price. Oh, and I have no interest in his business aside from being a customer.

Dont do that....

I tried them they took my money and had a big fight to get any back.

Never shipped anything to me.
It was too hot to cast, too hot to mail due to the lube not sticking, family problems, was gone shooting, was at cowboy shoots.....

He said and did everything but ship the bullets I paid for.

Dont chance it.

Just get one of Mavs molds and cast away.
that is what I did.

Never really got them to shoot great I think it was the gun.
If I seated them way out for paper targets and single load they were great but to seat them in to use the action and tube they just would not shoot.
Like I said I really think it was the gun.
It shoots smokless boxed rounds fine and reloads.

But that is one cool mold and I like it.

efritz
11-06-2015, 12:08 PM
Sorry to hear that. I've ordered several items several times. No problems. I only shoot the Henry in Nat's individuals so I don't use a lot. But between you and I he's batting 50% satisfaction. Unless others weigh in it's the old adage buyer beware I guess.

P.Altland
11-06-2015, 01:27 PM
Thanks Paul. I keep hearing '.429' but I wasn't sure if that was bore size or sizer size...

I'd like to hear from more 44-40 shooters...

Thx

My bore slugs at .429"
I use lead @ 7-8 BHN sized to .430

Michael Bodner
11-07-2015, 09:36 AM
Great! Thanks Paul for helping me out...

I would have thought a heck of a lot harder lead... How many lands/grooves does the 44-40 Henry have?

I shoot a 45LC and a very hard bullet.... (It dots the 'i', BTW).

P.Altland
11-07-2015, 10:11 AM
6 L&Gs

Thought process with an 8 BHN is to allow the bullet to obturate a little, but probably not necessary when I size @ .430.

I also crimp with a collet die in favor of roll crimping. Crimp pressure stays consistent without the need for case trimming.

Scooby
11-08-2015, 01:30 PM
6 L&Gs

Thought process with an 8 BHN is to allow the bullet to obturate a little, but probably not necessary when I size @ .430.

I also crimp with a collet die in favor of roll crimping. Crimp pressure stays consistent without the need for case trimming.

Yup, Lee factory crimp die as a separate last step. I use either Lee 240 SWC's or the rcbs mold, any 240 great bullet shoots well out of my henry. And the Lee is a 6 cavity...