PDA

View Full Version : Original Fayetteville Restoration Advice

hwbowles
10-28-2015, 11:50 AM
I was given an 1863 Fayetteville attic find in poor to worse condition. Got it all back together now except for butt plate, which was missing. Is there a repro brass butt plate out there anywhere that will fit this original stock? (I doubt I can afford an original butt plate, from what I'm seeing online.) Thanks for any help or steerage on this!.....hwb

BADSHOT
10-28-2015, 12:03 PM
Nick Brevoort ( Gator den) used to carry a real good repro, which fit original stocks very nicely, I used many on my restorations. Unfortunately he is no longer in business, but I believe he sold some of his items to S & S, and some to Lodgewood Mfg. You may want to contact them, and ask if they have any of Nick's buttplates left-

Steve Doyle

ian45662
10-28-2015, 12:57 PM
Wow man that is awesome. Given to you?!?!?! I am still waiting on something like this to happen to me

hwbowles
10-28-2015, 01:02 PM
Nick Brevoort ( Gator den) used to carry a real good repro, which fit original stocks very nicely, I used many on my restorations. Unfortunately he is no longer in business, but I believe he sold some of his items to S & S, and some to Lodgewood Mfg. You may want to contact them, and ask if they have any of Nick's buttplates left-

Steve Doyle
Thanks very much for the response, I'll try them......hwb

hwbowles
10-28-2015, 01:05 PM
Wow man that is awesome. Given to you?!?!?! I am still waiting on something like this to happen to me

Yea, I guess I'm a very lucky man, after seeing the history of the Fayetteville rifles once I figured out what I had. Being a NC resident, it's really a special find.

BADSHOT
10-28-2015, 02:38 PM
I just found one on e-bay, an original, or so advertised-

Original Civil War Period CSA Marked Fayetteville Rifle Butt Plate

ian45662
10-28-2015, 03:28 PM
It wouldnt matter where you were from. I would say its a tremendous find for ANYONE. Looking at the pictures I dont think it really looks all that bad. You should bring that to the firing line in winchester and see what peoples reactions are. I dont think those are that common at all

John Holland
10-28-2015, 05:24 PM
My sincere advice is DO NOT cheap out on the restoration of an original Fayetteville! Bite the bullet and buy an original butt plate.

hwbowles
10-28-2015, 06:03 PM
My sincere advice is DO NOT cheap out on the restoration of an original Fayetteville! Bite the bullet and buy an original butt plate.
Thanks guys for the response posts. If I can get this thing to where I want it, I'll post a shot or two of it. .....hwb

norman horne, 12321
10-29-2015, 04:54 AM
HWB. If you can make it, there is a skirmish in Statesville NC the week-end of Nov. 13-15. Feel free to come out and see what our 'game' is all about. We can also give you an opportunity to "live-fire" at some breakable targets!! PM me, or call and I can give you more info. Norman Horne, Iredell Blues. 910 279 4757.

hwbowles
11-02-2015, 04:48 PM
HWB. If you can make it, there is a skirmish in Statesville NC the week-end of Nov. 13-15. Feel free to come out and see what our 'game' is all about. We can also give you an opportunity to "live-fire" at some breakable targets!! PM me, or call and I can give you more info. Norman Horne, Iredell Blues. 910 279 4757.
Thanks, I'll be hopefully live firing in SD with my 16ga on pheasants. Maybe take a rain check,,,,,,,hwb