PDA

View Full Version : New musket nipples and accuracy problems..

dfbowers
06-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Has anyone ever run into this problem? I worked up a load over the last few months that would give me single-hole groups @ 50yds off a bench. The last few trips to the range had been very disappointing as my musket was shooting like a shotgun! Thinking back on what I did last time I cleaned her up, I put in a new nipple. I put the old one back in and Voila!

http://home.comcast.net/~dobybowers/target/Nipple.bmp

Don Bowers

J Weber 4114V
06-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Yup done that,been there! Remember the majority of the cones are used by reinactors firing blanks.So I would take that old nipple and try to find some with the same type of vent drilled.Then buy a bunch of them

William H. Shuey
06-01-2008, 10:10 PM
I am told that if the nipple hole becomes burnt out (gets too big) you get pressure blowing back out the nipple and shots will start to scatter. I have been having trouble with my rifle group starting to open and looking at the nipple, the hole is opened up to about .050-.055". I have replaced the nipple, out to the range Tuesday to see if it helps.

Bill Shuey

William H. Shuey
06-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Well, the new nipple in my Chattahoochie Amoskeag repro seems to have fixed my problem, everything back in the black at 100 yards (off the bench, that is) :-)

I had a bit of trouble finding a nipple in my collection to fit the weapon. I had two brand new nipples, one stainless steel and one Beryllium and they were the wrong thread. Has anyone ever seen a list of various barrels/weapons and the thread used for their nipples??

Bill Shuey

WV SCROUNGER
06-04-2008, 01:53 PM
I've been around a bit...but Never heard of a Chatahootchie....
what are ya talkin about??? :shock:

Mike w/ 34th
06-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Chattahoochie is a sutler specializing in Colt Special Model 1863 rifles and rifle-muskets, with Colt, Amoskeag, and LG&Y lockplates. Used to have a web site but took it down a long time back. You can find them at Nationals. They're good looking guns, and recent reports say they shoot well. Early models had a problem with the breech plug threads being cut too far into the barrel, which ripped off bullet skirts and caught cleaning patches. I hear that's been fixed.

Cheers,

Mike