PDA

View Full Version : Make the Call

Eggman
10-26-2015, 02:40 PM
My neighbor Skipper finally joined the N-SSA. Like most it took a number of invitations and a number of shooting sessions. I think this is normal. Now's the time to reinvite that friend or neighbor or that shooter who left a while back. Remind these latter folks what sterile meaningless lives they are now leading without the smell of black powder. Think about it, if each of us recruits just one new member we're back over 7,000.

ian45662
10-26-2015, 03:19 PM
I have been trying. I have brought a couple people to check out a shoot and have tried to get people out to the range with me with no luck. I feel sorry for those folks who think black powder is to problematic and fussy to mess with. They are truly missing out on some of the funnest shooting and the best people. I will keep trying though. One of these days someone will bite. Glad to see you have been able to bring someone in!!

Lou Lou Lou
10-26-2015, 03:31 PM
Wasn't that the NMLRA slogan one year a few moons ago. Each one get one?

Eggman
10-26-2015, 03:55 PM
I have been trying. I have brought a couple people to check out a shoot and have tried to get people out to the range with me with no luck. I feel sorry for those folks who think black powder is to problematic and fussy to mess with. They are truly missing out on some of the funnest shooting and the best people. I will keep trying though. One of these days someone will bite. Glad to see you have been able to bring someone in!!

I may be wrong but I think it takes several whacks before this stuff kind of hits home. I remember in 89-90 Gene Wilson kept inviting me to join, but it really didn't take hold until he took me to Pappy's (the late Don Pritchet's) place for a team practice. Here you begin to experience the atmosphere (breakable targets; timed events; team comradery) that separates the N-SSA from other shooting sports.

Jim Barber
10-26-2015, 09:38 PM
Eggman,

Funny you should bring this up. Just this weekend I began re-wheedling my childhood friend Jim Sollars to sign up. This August, he officially became an "empty-nester" and should have gobs of time on his hands to cast and size my bullets! Back when we were teenagers, he came to a few shoots and was greatly enthused. Then he bought some horrific repro gun (neither of us recalls what model, exactly, it was supposed to emulate) out of a magazine, showed it to my dad, who said something like "oh my" when he saw it, then moved on to fast cars, work, family, etc. The years--decades-- have passed. So I'm out to prove my theory about the changing demographics of N-SSA membership, which is that it's pretty darn time-consuming and also expensive for working-class, working-age folks with a family. If I can get Jim to join, then I'll have proved it to my own satisfaction. Get young folks interested, lots of them, but don't expect them to stick around. Like an incurable infection, the itch will continue, until they're finally in a spot where they recognize their mortality, see the futility of their Company and Familial Loyalty, and decide to rebel and do something fun. It took me about 20 years to figure this out, and my dad's an American History teacher for cryin' out loud!

Also, I've hauled my GF's son to Nationals for the first time this fall. The hook is set. We're goin' shootin, at his request, though I've warned him not to expect to shoot very well. I told him, if he WANTS to get on the team, I could put a word in. Just settin' the hook...

Cheers
Jim B.
Grove City, OH

MarkTK36thIL
10-26-2015, 11:16 PM
I know that my unit is looking to put togethe a team or two for the authentic shoot. That was the draw that has led some authentics to jump over the wall.

Jim_Burgess_2078V
10-27-2015, 12:56 PM
I gave a tour at Manassas Battlefield to a group of Marines from Quantico last week and just happened to mention that I shoot Civil War type weapons in competition. I ended up handing out about a half dozen N-SSA brochures which I have handy for just such occasions. I attended a skirmish at Ft. Shenandoah as a spectator 43 years ago while I was still in the Army stationed at Ft. Myer, Va. and that was all it took to inspire me to buy a musket and join a team. The active military in the Washington, DC area could be a rich source of potential members to tap into if we only make ourselves known. The N-SSA still seems to be the best kept secret in the shooting sports.

Jim Burgess, 15th Conn. Vol. Infantry

RaiderANV
10-27-2015, 09:28 PM
We could start by inviting the DAV (Disabled American Vets) association back to the Fort with a permanent spot to sell their raffle tickets to raise money to help the disabled vets and to continue THEIR work helping the N-SSA's vets with their medical/disability claims which they did for FREE!! Instead of hiring a lawyer and signing away a third of your settlement and a third of your next 1-3 years of payments also to represent you the DAV did it for FREE for our members.
The relationship was sabotaged a few years ago and its way past time they were invited back to the Fort. They are thousands of members strong and a good place to find new members also