PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Smith Carbine Bullets

newrib
10-24-2015, 08:36 PM
Greetings, I just bought a Pietta Smith Carbine Copy from gunbroker and I would like to try and shoot it before the cold weather comes so we would like to buy or trade for 50-100 or more Smith Carbine bullets cast from a currently available mold. I can pay for them or can trade with lead or bullets I have molds for (various types in .575,.578,.580 and .30 cals.). Thank You. Tony Martello

newrib
10-25-2015, 01:23 AM
Thats a great start Harry, thank you. I understand the bores on these Pietta imports do run small and so far the plan is to recieve the rifle by the end of the week, slug the bore then if necessary make a proper sizing die to hopefully shoot the rifle on the weekend. I will PM you sir so that we can work out the details. Again Thank You. Tony

ms3635v
10-25-2015, 08:08 AM
You should probably slug the bore of you Smith to determine the bore size. One member of our team bought a Pietta Smith earlier this year. He slugged the bore and discovered that it was smaller than Harry's .510", it was around .507", so he was able to buy a mould that cast .509". I know several shooters who have these Smiths and they can be quite different.

jonk
10-25-2015, 05:21 PM
I have a Pietta, and it likes the Lee with soft lead.

I'd be happy to send you a selection of bullets, 5-10 each of soft and hard, from the following:

-Lee 515
-Lee 518
-RCBS Hodgdon solid base 520

If you find one you want, I would be happy to cast up however many you want for a like weight of lead. PM me if interested.

Harley1247
10-25-2015, 05:47 PM
01247 Art Forgione 229-MA
Co. B, 1st Pa. Calvary

Tony, I brought a Pietta Smith and when it came to bullets it became a nightmare. I slugged the barrel and found it was a .505 bore. The closets mold I could find at the time was made by Magma which cast a .505 (50 cal) bullet, which was not good enough. I finally beagled the mold, this is a process where you shim the mold. Now, the mold cast a .509 bullet which I size down to .507. The gun is a real shooter compared to when I first got it, also go with the heavier bullet. You may want to contact Moose Molds, he may have other size molds than what are listed on his website. Another issue with the Pietta's is the nipple. Shooting the gun with their nipple design leaves the right side of the gun with heavy powder residue. I make my own nipples which completely eliminates the problem. Biggest thing here is to slug the barrel before you go purchasing bullet. Feel free to email me arthur.forgione@verizon.net if U need more info.

RaiderANV
10-25-2015, 09:23 PM
It would also help Tony if you listed your location on your profile rather then remain anonymous as there may be an N-SSA member near you that could help. I have over 150 molds myself and help folks out all the time. But gotta admit when I see someone ask for help that doesn't bother to put any info when they registrar. .....I tend to look the other way. Jus saying......

newrib
10-25-2015, 11:15 PM
Thank You Mr. Pat Kelly for pointing that out. These days it seems I am allways rushed. Most likely I overlooked the my location when I signed up on this forum. Never time to do it right, always time to do it over. I have corrected my location.

2kycav
10-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Tony I have more Smith bullets than I will ever use, considering I shoot a Springfield carbine in .58. I think these are .515, so lemme know if you can use these and I can probably supply way more than you need in the near future.....jkmando3@yahoo.com. ....thanks

newrib
11-05-2015, 05:21 AM
Thank You All who responded to my post, With special thanks going to Harry Gaul who provided the initial bullets and cases to get the Smith Carbine copy shooting so I could see what needs rework (the trigger and a taller front sight). The rifle did not shoot bad off a bench and it was reliable, with the only effort on my part of cleaning the packing grease out of the breech/flash channel and changing the nipple to a modern small hole type. Again Thanks To All. Tony