PDA

View Full Version : How to de-mildew a shell jacket?

Mike McDaniel
10-21-2015, 08:21 PM
I was looking over my shell jacket, and the liner of one sleeve has started to mildew. Not dried 100% after Nationals, apparently. Any ideas on how to kill the mildew? Or should I just get it dry cleaned?

FWIW, I've got it turned inside out to dry now...maybe leave it out in the sun and let UV kill the mildew?

norman horne, 12321
10-22-2015, 07:15 AM
Vinegar "misted" out of a spray bottle.

RaiderANV
10-22-2015, 09:25 AM
Hydrogen peroxide kills it

Ron/The Old Reb
10-23-2015, 07:40 AM
Mike

The best way to get ride of mildew is to burn the jacket. If that is the same jacket you were wearing when I first met you thirty years ago when I joined the McGregor's. It's time for a new one.http://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif

Eggman
10-26-2015, 04:14 PM
Hydrogen peroxide kills it
I feel compelled to amplify on my friend Pat Kelly's advice, i.e., -- he means the hydrogen peroxide literally kills the jacket itself (albeit, even though one might be targeting the mildew as primary target, in reality it is at best relegated to a secondary target status using a generalized chemical agent such as this). Thus the death of the mildew is nothing more than collateral damage. It (the jacket) will assume a deathly complexion and rot. His advice is esentially the same as Ron's.

Bullseye54
10-26-2015, 07:18 PM
Well I'm glad you felt compelled. That sounded almost like a honest home made cleaning tip. Hydro/Perox works for all kinds of home remedies. I was going to give it a try on my Grandfathers WW1 uniform jacket and boots.. ..

I feel compelled to amplify on my friend Pat Kelly's advice, i.e., -- he means the hydrogen peroxide literally kills the jacket itself (albeit, even though one might be targeting the mildew as primary target, in reality it is at best relegated to a secondary target status using a generalized chemical agent such as this). Thus the death of the mildew is nothing more than collateral damage. It (the jacket) will assume a deathly complexion and rot. His advice is esentially the same as Ron's.

Jim Barber
10-26-2015, 09:12 PM
I believe we need to re-think the vital, historical ecosystems at work here: wouldn't the odor and "patina" of mildew offer a more honest recreation of the Genuine Civil War Experience? Heck, let it turn furry with mildew and maybe it would pass off as an original Attic Find.

Plus, when you're camped at Nationals for several days with "baby wipes" or a splash of well-placed water as your primary means of bathing, maybe a little mildew would offset the other aromas. Might be onto a marketing juggernaut with this one.

Swampy Jim

RaiderANV
10-26-2015, 10:39 PM
Joe......EGGS was kidding me thinks. If he wasn't he needs to read up. I do mold abatement and that's a main ingredient.

Eggman
10-27-2015, 09:48 AM
Pat - it's kind of like the same principle as rat poison. Warfarin is deadly to poor rat, but wonderful in small doses for old skirmishers with heart conditions.

Mike McDaniel
10-27-2015, 11:27 AM
I got it dry cleaned. Removed most of the staining...and hopefully killed the mildew off. I may hang it outdoors turned inside-out as well, let UV finish any stragglers. It's a good jacket by Richmond Depot, I'm not eager to trash it.