PDA

View Full Version : Ballard extractor knob

ian45662
10-18-2015, 09:24 PM
I was shooting me Ballard over the weekend and the dang extractor knob fell out. It fell out and hit my shoe. I looked down and there it was laying in the grass. I picked it up and re installed it but when I tighten it all the way the extractor knob binds up on the guide and so I have to loosen it a bit for it to operate freely. My question is this. Was there another part that fell out like a really long washer or spacer that keeps the knob from touching the guide when the knob is tight? If so it would be an easy part for the local machine shop to make. Turn a piece of metal do the desired O.D. Then drill the inside diam
and cut it to length. Should I put a dab of locktite on the knob and tighten it so that it still moves freely or is there a part that I didn't see? Gun was made by brown and is a 3 band rifle

bobanderson
10-19-2015, 05:45 AM
I'll be happy to take it off your hands.

ian45662
10-19-2015, 08:23 AM
Sorry bob this one will be with me for as long as I live.

maynard6
10-19-2015, 04:20 PM
Checked my Brown Ballard rifle There doesn't appear to be any washer.Could the screw be going thru extractor and not hitting a stop? 150 years of wear may have worn it off .Just a thought Bob

ian45662
10-19-2015, 05:48 PM
Does it not have a "square thingy" that goes in between the bolt of the ejector knob and the guides? Another fella I know who has a brown has this although I have no idea what it looks like. Does the bolt on yours have any side to side wobble? I honestly cant remember any square washer but I was able to tighten it and it would still move freely. Something has worn out or fell off. If all else fails I will put a dab of locktite on the knob and tighten it till its locked up and then back it out until the ejector moves freely.

Rob FreemanWBR
10-19-2015, 08:28 PM
As I recall my Ballard, there is no washer of any sort involved. The extractor knob simply screw in the piece.

Re the square "thingy" it is called an extractor guide. You can by repos from S and S for a few bucks, they have plenty. All in all that part seems to be more asthetic than anything else. My original didn't have one and its absence has NO effect on the arms function or accuracy. May need a few small drops of gorilla glue applied with a toothpick to install/affix the guide. Be sure to blue it before installing, unless you want a bright part to develop a nice patina over time.

hope this is of some use/help based on my faulty memory.

ian45662
10-19-2015, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the help. Your right it still functions without the part but the screw keeps backing out. I'll giver a dab of locktite and be on my way

bobanderson
10-20-2015, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the help. Your right it still functions without the part but the screw keeps backing out. I'll giver a dab of locktite and be on my way

Ian,
You could bring it to Washtenaw Sportsman's Club in Ypsilanti, MI for our first Black Powder Through the Ages match on November 7th.

If you'd like, I'll bring my Ball & Williams carbine to compare.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
10-20-2015, 08:45 AM
I think the knobs were hand fitted. After use they can lossen. When too loose, to much tightening and the threaded portion will go thru the extractor body until it hits the barrel and binds the extractor up. A thread binder is the easiest way to fix. A fellow Ballard fan.

ian45662
10-20-2015, 09:43 AM
I am going to run to the hardware store today and grab some blue locktite. Bob I don't plan on going to a BPTTA shoot until Dec. For the first shoot I will either be working or very possible going down to eva TN for a skirmish down there

Jack C., 69th NY
10-20-2015, 12:43 PM
The extractor knobs first passes through a trapezoidal shaped block and then screws into the extractor. There are no threads inside this block, the knob shaft simply passes through it. The knob can only be tightened as far as this block allows, thus preventing the knob from passing completely through the extractor and binding on the extractor groove on the underside of the barrel. The knob binds itself onto the block and in turn, binds the block onto the extractor slide. The block also causes the back and forth pressure of the knob on the extractor to be spread over a larger area therefore giving more strength to the knob. Extractor knobs will operate without the spacer block but eventually the threads on the knob or the threads in the extractor slide will wear and the knob will loosen. This block, between the knob and the extractor, has a hook to attach one end of the extractor spring. Without this block, one must loop the extractor spring around the shaft of the knob.

Another thought is to lengthen the threaded area of the knob and use a locknut to lock the knob to the extractor.

Loose or missing extractor knobs is a common Ballard problem. This is evidenced by the many non-original knobs found on Ballards today.

ian45662
10-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Jack I believe the brown has a slightly different set up than than the ball and Williams. The spring on the brown pushes on the knob where as the sprig on the ball and Williams pulls on it. I do not have to wrap the spring around the knob. Also the block is not a tapered on the brown. A friend of mine who has some spare brown parts is
sending the part I need to a gunsmith so that it can be copied and so forth. Easy fix.

Jack C., 69th NY
10-20-2015, 10:40 PM
Ian, thanks for the clarification. Browns and Merrimacks do compress the extractor spring. The block is squared off to better fit in the extractor guide housing on the Browns and Merrimacks.