PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Harpers Ferry Percussion Pistol

Earl Burlin
10-17-2015, 09:48 PM
Hello everyone! This is my first post. Thanks for having me!

I am making this thread to ask some questions about the new Pedersoli Harpers Ferry percussion pistol. I have a keen interest in this gun, and would like to purchase one for possible use in the smoothbore pistol even but would like some input first. I assume that this new Pedersoli gun is modeled after the Harpers Ferry 1805 pistol, one with a percussion conversion.

I have two main questions:

1. Were any Harpers Ferry pistols of this type ever actually converted to percussion, and were they actually used in the United States Civil War?

2. Is this Pedersoli gun authentic in construction and appearance, especially, is the bright "in the white" metal finish on this pistol historically accurate?

If you all could please help me in regards to these questions, or point me to resources where I can read up on this, it would be tremendously appreciated. I look forward to talking with you all and making friends. Thank you all so much for your time!

V/r

Earl Burlin

Earl Burlin
10-23-2015, 11:50 PM
Nobody hear has an answer for me?

John Holland
10-24-2015, 12:39 AM
I answered these questions via the PM system when you posted them to me.

Maillemaker
10-24-2015, 01:00 PM
I'm sure John sent you good answers. I'm not that familiar with this firearm. But I do know that the N-SSA has authenticity requirements as well as issued number during the Civil War requirements. The arm would not have been approved for competition if it did not meet those requirements, and I'm pretty sure it has been approved.

Steve

Earl Burlin
10-25-2015, 03:37 PM
Thanks everyone! I thought I'd try and gain any additional input possible since this thread was already open when Mr. Holland answered my question via PM.

So, pertaining to numbers issued in order to be accepted by the N-SSA, I assume that a fair number of these percussion conversions actually were used in the early battles of the Civil War? Most interesting!

Mike McDaniel
10-25-2015, 04:44 PM
Not necessarily. Only 100 had to be purchased, it I remember the Skirmish Rules correctly.

Lithuanian artillery
07-22-2018, 04:32 PM
What size ball and load do you guys shoot? Am thinking of getting the kit from Dixie.

Jim_Burgess_2078V
07-23-2018, 12:34 PM
I competed in single-shot pistol individuals for the first time at the soggy spring nationals using an original Johnson M1842 pistol with .530 diameter balls (Lee mould) wrapped in aluminum foil and 30 grains FFg (service charge). I did well with it at 12.5 yards (91-2X) but that only counted for 5th place (no medal). I at least hit the paper 10 times at 25 yards.

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Lithuanian artillery
07-23-2018, 02:51 PM
I competed in single-shot pistol individuals for the first time at the soggy spring nationals using an original Johnson M1842 pistol with .530 diameter balls (Lee mould) wrapped in aluminum foil and 30 grains FFg (service charge). I did well with it at 12.5 yards (91-2X) but that only counted for 5th place (no medal). I at least hit the paper 10 times at 25 yards.

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

So the course of fire is 12.5 and 25? Did you have plenty of time to load all 10 with sighters?

Southron Sr.
07-23-2018, 03:12 PM
My suggestion:

1. Buy the Pedersoli pistol.

2. Work up a load for it that meets N-SSA rules.

3. Shoot it in a Skirmish in the match.

4. Have FUN!

P.S. Yup, they will give you enough time to reload it in the match.

iron brigade
07-24-2018, 07:37 AM
A friend and I shoot these. We both use a .535 ball from a Lee mold. 25 grains of 3f OE powder.
We bought the kits and put them together, that was fun to.
We do well with them and they are loads of fun but don't expect great accuracy.

efritz
07-29-2018, 03:52 PM
I originally proposed the smoothbore pistol or horse pistol competition. I feel the recent change to 12.5 & 25 yds was a good one. Although I thought the excellent knowledge base in our organization would have figured out how to shoot them at 25 & 50 yds. Make sure you know the rules for this type of competition as it is still evolving. My team will be hosting this fall national and I will be in the main pistol range tower. Feel free to ask me questions. As for the pedersoli. ItÂ’s not a bad gun. I have an issue with the barrel and how itÂ’s made up at the breach plug end of it. ItÂ’s like they drilled out the barrel and drilled a hole in the breach plug then threaded the plug into the barrel. In essence thereÂ’s a cavity in the plug and in this cavity they drilled and inserted the nipple adapter in the side. When loading I find I have to tap the gun to get the powder in this cavity. If I donÂ’t hang fires occur. Cleaning this area is also a problem. Originals can be purchased in the $800-$1000-$1200 range. I use a roughed up .535 Lyman round ball coated in navy arms lube over 24 grs. 3F GOEX. Hope this helps you get started.

Lithuanian artillery
04-14-2019, 11:55 AM
Has anyone had trouble with the Harpers Ferry dixie pistol ignition? I am using 30gr FFG and #11 caps. Can I convert to Musket caps for a hotter flame?

Thanks in advance
Andy Sinkleris

John Holland
04-14-2019, 06:25 PM
As far as the N-SSA Rules are concerned, yes you can.

Charlie Hahn
04-15-2019, 10:04 AM
TRESO has a musket nipple with small threads to fit the pistol. One caution when adding it that the bolster, which is threaded into the barrel will need to be rotated a bit to get a flush fit, BEFORE you shoot this. If you don't make this adjustment you can have a fail to fire, or a big leaker.

When meeting these up I would suggest that you take the gun apart, which includes removing the bolster and breech plug. Some of these have the threaded portion of the bolster intruding into the recessed area of the breech portion that has the reduced diameter. This intrusion makes cleaning with a scraper almost impossible. The bolster will need to be shortened about .025 to clear this.

When you reassemble never seize needs to be added to the breech plug and bolster threads as you will need to the this apart from time to time to be sure it is serviceable. I do believe Tom Crone makes a scraper for these that works when the bolster is shortened.

The bolster goes in until it touches and is final rotated when the barrel is back in the stock to get the nipple face flush with the hammer face.

Charlie Hahn

Mike McDaniel
04-15-2019, 10:12 AM
I originally proposed the smoothbore pistol or horse pistol competition. I feel the recent change to 12.5 & 25 yds was a good one. Although I thought the excellent knowledge base in our organization would have figured out how to shoot them at 25 & 50 yds.

The lack of a rear sight, combined with the prohibition on patched round ball, makes accurate shooting very hard.